Onnoghen: Lawyers ignore NBA boycott order, resume court

Onnoghen: Lawyers ignore NBA boycott order, resume court

- The order by the Nigerian Bar Association to boycott the court in protest of CJN Onnoghen's suspension was ignored by some lawyers

- NBA, during its national executive meeting on Monday, January 28, had mandated its members to stay off court

- However, emerging report claimed lawyers were seen around the Federal High Court in Abuja engaging in daily usual court activities

Some Nigerian lawyers have ignored the order by the Nigerian Bar Association (NBA) warning them to stay away from the court following the suspension of the Chief Justice of Nigeria Walter Onnoghen by President Muhammadu Buhari.

In an emerging report by Premium Times, the lawyers were reported to have ignored the order of the association to boycott courts amid protest trailing the suspension of the CJN.

Legit.ng gathers that NBA, during its national executive meeting on Monday, January 28, drew its discussion on the constitutionality of the president's power to suspend the embattled chief justice.

READ ALSO: NAIJ.com upgrades to Legit.ng: a letter from our Editor-in-Chief Bayo Olupohunda

It was gathered that after the meeting, the body made a resolution that lawyers across the federation should boycott the court in order to protest the CJN suspension, a move ignored by the legal practitioners, who were sighted engaging in usual activities around the Abuja court.

Recall that embattled Justice Onnoghen was suspended in controversial circumstances by President Buhari on Friday, January 25, citing a directive from the Justice Umar-Danladi-led Code of Conduct Tribunal.

Since then, the decision of the federal government to appoint Justice Tanko Mauhammed as the acting CJN has generated to ripples of controversies, with the NBA body holding that the Onnoghen's suspension was a slap on democracy and the law.

The case, according to Punch, is presently being heard at the Supreme Court, led by Justice Mary Peter-Odili.

PAY ATTENTION: Download our mobile app to enjoy the latest news update

Following allegations of false declaration of assets, Buhari suspended Onnoghen and subsequently appointed Tanko Mohammed in acting capacity.

Legit.ng had reported that the federal government said the suspension of the Chief Justice of Nigeria has no connection with the next general elections.

The minister of information and culture, Lai Mohammed, said Onnoghen’s suspension as the CJN was as a result of his breach of the code of conducts guiding public officials, saying it has nothing to do with the speculation of dictatorship as many suggested.

NAIJ.com (naija.ng) -> Legit.ng We have upgraded to serve you better.

South-South governors condemn trial of CJN Onnoghen | - on Legit TV

Source: Legit

Mailfire view pixel