CJN saga: Gubernatorial candidate tells Onnoghen to resign

CJN saga: Gubernatorial candidate tells Onnoghen to resign

- The Labour Party governorship candidate in Kwara, Issa Aremu, has advised Justice Walter Onnoghen to resign as chief justice of Nigeria

- Aremu said that Onnoghen's admittance that he failed to declare all his assets was enough for him to honourably take leave of office and preserve the image of the judiciary

- The candidate further urged citizens and all stakeholders in the Nigeria project not to lose focus but be able to see and discuss critical issues that are very fundamental

The embattled chief justice of Nigeria, Justice Walter Onnoghen, has been advised by the Labour Party governorship candidate in Kwara state, Issa Aremu, to resign from office over false assets declaration charges preferred against him.

Aremu made the comment in Ilorin, the Kwara state capital, on Sunday, January 27, The Nation reports.

READ ALSO: APC maintains majority in Senate, despite defections

Legit.ng gathers that he pointed out that the CJN had not denied that he failed to declare all his assets.

He said that Onnoghen's admittance was enough for him to honourably take leave of office and preserve the image of the judiciary.

Aremu stated that it was unfortunate that Onnoghen was shopping for court orders in a matter that could only be heard by the Code of Conduct Tribunal (CCT).

He, however, added that the suspension of the CJN, who has the power to constitute election tribunals on the eve of 2019 election must necessarily raise eyebrows and suspicion.

Aremu stated that rather than agonise over Onnoghen's trial and suspension, stakeholders in the judicial sector and the nation’s democracy should safeguard the administration of justice from perceptions of corruption, double standards and self-help.

He said: “I am not surprised that controversy has trailed the suspension of the CJN. However, regardless of the context of his suspension and the controversy that greeted his suspension, I think it is time for citizens and all stakeholders in Nigeria project not to lose focus but be able to see and discuss critical issues that are very fundamental.

“One major substance in this issue is that can the CJN, who is supposed to be the head of the judiciary talk of forgetting to declare his public assets?

"Can any accused person feign mistake and forgetfulness over the allegation and be allowed to go scot free? For me, these are fundamental issues that we need to address.”

PAY ATTENTION: Install our latest app for Android, read best news on Nigeria’s #1 news app

Meanwhile, Legit.ng previously reported that the office of the chief justice of Nigeria, Justice Walter Onnoghen, was sealed off by operatives of the Nigerian Police Force.

The incident took place on Monday, January 28 and was made public by sources at the Supreme Court.

The sources disclosed that the policemen arrived as early as 7am and proceeded to seal off the office and eject all administrative staff in the axis.

NAIJ.com (naija.ng) -> Legit.ng: We have updated to serve you better!

South-south governors condemn trial of CJN Onnoghen - on Legit TV:

Source: Legit Newspaper

Mailfire view pixel