- Concerned Nigerians stormed the CCT to register their displeasure over the trial of the Chief Justice of Nigeria Walter Onnoghen
- The group under the aegis of National Interest Group decried the continuing prosecution of the CJN in spite of court orders
- According to the group, Nigerians are up against a rampaging group of political barbarians who have hijacked the presidency and acting without limitations
Coalition of United Political Parties (CUPP), lawyers in Defence of Democracy (LIDD), Civil Society Organisations (CSOs), and concerned Nigerians under the aegis of National Interest Group, on Tuesday, January 22, stormed the venue of the Code of Conduct Tribunal (CCT) in Abuja to register their displeasure over the trial of the Chief Justice of Nigeria (CJN) Walter Onnoghen.
According to Daily Independent, the group in their numbers berated the administration of President Muhammadu Buhari for trying to cage the judiciary.
The group held placards with inscriptions such as ‘Amaechi, El-Rufai, Akpabio, Malami, APC, brain behind Onnoghen’s trial’; ‘CCT trial of Onnoghen is unconstitutional’, ‘Mr Danladi Umar decline jurisdiction’; ‘Plot to announce Tanko Muhammed Pro-Buhari CJN will fail,; ‘Nobody can force Onnoghen out’, ‘On section 292 we stand’; ‘APC playing politics with the judiciary’; ‘Buhari wants judges to join APC’; ‘CJN persecution: Democracy in danger’, among others.
Barr. Tochukwu Ohazuruike, the secretary of LIDD, addressing the crowd, decried the continuing prosecution of the CJN in spite of court orders and called on Nigerians to stand up in defence of the nation’s democracy before it was late, adding that the judiciary was the hope of the nation.
The spokesman of CUPP, Ikenga Ugochinyere, also addressing the crowd, lamented the desecration of the judiciary, noting that it was not the first time the judiciary was being invaded by the Federal Government.
He said: “Nigerians are up against a rampaging group of political barbarians who, like the wife of the President said, have hijacked the Presidency and are now acting without limitations, and willing to pull our country down, tear it apart and dump it in a state of political hiatus just for their vain aggrandizement and pecuniary benefits.
“How could the Presidency lie that the President did not know about this persecution of the CJN and that he does not interfere in the activities of investigating and prosecuting agencies yet less than 48 hours after this barefaced lie, it was the Minister of Information that announced to the world that Alhaji Atiku Abubakar would be questioned by investigators on his return from the United States of America."
Legit.ng previously reported that there seems to be more trouble for the embattled Chief Justice of Nigeria as reports say that more suspicious funds may have been discovered in his accounts as his trial continues at the Code of Conduct Tribunal.
According to the report, $630,000 was found lodged in some of the accounts “through what is described as ‘structured payments’ in tranches of $10,000 each.
It said most of the lodgements happened between 2012 and 2016 and were undeclared in the CJN’s assets declaration form, according to the sources.
NAIJ.com (naija.ng) -> Legit.ng. We have upgraded to serve you better.
Onnoghen Absent As Trial Commences | Legit TV