Breaking: Federal government demands CJN's resignation

Breaking: Federal government demands CJN's resignation

Aliu Umar, the Nigerian government prosecutor in the ongoing trial of the Chief Justice of Nigeria, Walter Onnoghen, on Tuesday, January 22, said that the government wants the judge out of office, Premium Times reports.

Legit.ng gathered that Umar, in his opening address at the resumed hearing in the matter, said Onnoghen had been written, and wondered whether he had received it or not.

The CJN was not present when the tribunal opened at 10:21 a.m. Today’s hearing is the second since the matter first opened on January 14.

READ ALSO: President Buhari expresses sadness over Maiduguri rally tragedy

The President Muhammadu Buhari administration is accusing the CJN of failing to declare bank accounts despite being a Supreme Court judge since 2005, an offence that contradicts the Code of Conduct Act and could see draw penalties if established.

A senior lawyer leading a team of over 50 defence counsels for Onnoghen, Wole Olanipekun, said the judge was absent because of the cases that were instituted against the tribunal’s proceeding.

Last week, a Federal High Court ruled that Onnoghen’s trial be suspended, but supporters of the government argued that the ruling was an anomaly because the tribunal has parallel powers as Federal High Courts.

READ ALSO: NAIJ.com upgrades to Legit.ng: a letter from our Editor-in-Chief Bayo Olupohunda

Legit.ng previously reported that CJN Onnoghen was absent at the Code of Conduct Tribunal where his trial over a false declaration of asset has just commenced.

Proceedings into the matter kicked off as the chairman of the CCT, Danladi Umar arrived the tribunal in company of two other members president over the case.

NAIJ.com (naija.ng) -> Legit.ng We have upgraded to serve you better.

South-South governors condemn trial of CJN Onnoghen | - on Legit TV

Source: Legit.ng

Mailfire view pixel