FG begins probe into CJN Onnoghen’s 13-year salary account

FG begins probe into CJN Onnoghen’s 13-year salary account

- A 13-year salary account of the Chief Justice of Nigeria, Walter Onnoghen, is currently under probe by the federal government

- The FG alleged that Onnoghen's salary account received about N100 million in 11-years

- According to the federal government, the probe will expose alleged questionable deposits made into Onnoghen's account

The Nigerian government has launched a probe into the 13-salary account of the embattled Chief Justice of Nigeria, Walter Onnoghen.

Punch reports that the probe into the salary account of the CJN will date back to September 2005 is expected to expose alleged questionable deposits made into Onnoghen's account.

It was also gathered that a fact sheet from the Nigeria Financial Intelligence Unit (NFIU) which was sent to the Attorney General of the Federation showed that about N100 million was received through the CJN's salary account with Union Bank Plc between September 2005 and October 2016.

READ ALSO: Buhari to inaugurate Zik Mausoleum in Onitsha Thursday, January 24

According to the sheet, Onnoghen's account was at N240,202 in 2005 but rose to N751,082.37 in February 2008, surpassing his salary.

"His salary in 2005 was N240, 202. 20 and it rose to N751, 082.37 in February 2008. The salary remains within range till date.

“However, the turnover in the account from September 2005 to October 2016 was N91, 962, 362.49.

“He did not spend from the salary account from March 2015 to October 2016. The salary and allowances accumulated to N22, 520, 636.27 in October 2016 from N6, 132, 885.24 in March of the same year," the fact sheet said.

Also, investigations by the NFIU has shown that the funds deposited into the CJN's account are allegedly questionable.

“From the investigations conducted so far, it is plausible that the payments into the various accounts are bribes.

This is because the sources of inflows into his accounts other than the salary account in Union Bank are unknown and probably fraudulent and the nature of the transactions (including structured payments) are not typical of the transactions of a public servant,” the sheet said.

PAY ATTENTION: Read the news on Nigeria’s #1 news app

Meanwhile, Legit.ng previously reported that the federal government had reportedly filed a motion at the Code of Conduct Tribunal (CCT) seeking the removal of Walter Onnoghen as the chief justice of Nigeria (CJN).

It was gathered that the motion was filed by Musa Ibrahim and Fatima Danjuma Ali on behalf of the Attorney-General of the Federation on Thursday, January 17.

According to the government, the move is aimed at ensuring that Onnoghen is not a judge in his case and that the next in line of seniority, Justice Ibrahim Muhammad, becomes the acting CJN pending the determination of the substantive suit.

NAIJ.com (naija.ng) -> Legit.ng We have upgraded to serve you better.

South-South governors condemn trial of CJN Onnoghen | - on Legit TV

Source: Legit

Mailfire view pixel