- The Independent National Electoral Commission says it will not postpone elections in some communities in the northeast
- The communities, which have come under attack of Boko Haram, will exercise their franchise in the forthcoming general elections
- According to INEC, with the help of the armed forces, elections will be conducted in all states across the country
As the 2019 general elections draw nearer, the Independent National Electoral Commission (INE) has assured that it will not postpone elections in some communities in the northeast which have come under attacks of Boko Haram.
Punch reports that the electoral body said the Nigerian Air Force (NAF) was instrumental in its successful voter registration through airlift of INEC personnel to difficult terrains containing landmines in Borno state during the registration.
Legit.ng gathers that INEC said if NAF had not rendered assistance during voter registration, many qualified voters in those areas would have been disenfranchised.
Rotimi Oyekanmi, chief press secretary to the chairman of INEC, said: “Postponement is not being considered. The commission maintains robust synergy with the security agencies under the aegis of the Inter Consultative Committee on Election Security, which is why we have been having peaceful elections in most of the constituencies where elections were conducted in the last three years.
“In fact, but for the Nigerian Air Force which graciously agreed to airlift the commission’s staff to difficult terrains containing landmines in Borno State during the continuous voter registration, it would have been impossible for INEC to register qualified voters in those areas at that time.
“We all agree that our armed forces are currently under pressure due to several security challenges across the country, especially in the North-East. But the commission believes that the military is equal to the task. Therefore, with their help, elections will be conducted in all states across the country.”
Legit.ng previously reported that the Independent National Electoral Commission (INEC) warned that it would work with security agencies to deal with those who would try to compromise the distribution of permanent voters cards at the ward level.
INEC national commissioner, Mustapha Lecky, issued the warning in a statement on Monday, January 14, in Asaba during an interactive session between the commission and the executive of the Delta traditional rulers council.
The statement read: “INEC has specifically arranged for those who have yet to collect their cards to do so from January 16 to 21, 2019 at the designated centres in their wards.
PAY ATTENTION: Install our latest app for Android, read best news on Nigeria’s #1 news app
“We will work with the security agencies to deal with the violators of our electoral laws, including those who may try to compromise our staff responsible for making the PVCs available for collection."
The national commissioner said that smart card readers would be used to confirm, verify and authenticate the voters as well as ensure that the cards were issued by INEC.
NAIJ.com (naija.ng) -> Legit.ng We have updated to serve you better
Nigeria News Today: INEC May Ban Electronic Devices At The Polling Booths | - on Legit TV