Why should everybody learn about Bible verses for depression and self harm? Today, millions of people across the face of the earth suffer from varying degrees of depression. Sociologists have found that approximately 15% of people suffer from chronic depression, and that this figure is increasing every year.
If you ask people what depression is, the meaning of this term will vary from disappointment in the poor game of your favorite football team to deep depression, leading a person to bad decisions.
Depression is often described as an emotional state (or state of mind) immersed in sadness, disappointment and hopelessness. But God knows how to help. Let these Bible verses for depressed mind help you get rid of this condition.
Best Bible verses for depression period
- Isaiah 41:10: Fear not, for I am with you; be not dismayed, for I am your God; I will strengthen you, I will help you, I will uphold you with my righteous right hand.
- Matthew 11:28: Come to me, all who labor and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest.
- 1 Peter 5:7: Casting all your anxieties on him, because he cares for you.
- Jeremiah 29:11: For I know the plans I have for you, declares the Lord, plans for welfare and not for evil, to give you a future and a hope.
- Proverbs 3:5-6: Trust in the Lord with all your heart, and do not lean on your own understanding. In all your ways acknowledge him, and he will make straight your paths.
- Psalm 143:7-8: Answer me quickly, O Lord! My spirit fails! Hide not your face from me, lest I be like those who go down to the pit. Let me hear in the morning of your steadfast love, for in you I trust. Make me know the way I should go, for to you I lift up my soul.
- Psalm 30:5: For his anger is but for a moment, and his favor is for a lifetime. Weeping may tarry for the night, but joy comes with the morning.
- Philippians 4:6-7: Do not be anxious about anything, but in everything by prayer and supplication with thanksgiving let your requests be made known to God. And the peace of God, which surpasses all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus.
- Psalm 23:4: Even though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil, for you are with me; your rod and your staff, they comfort me.
READ ALSO: Power of prayer quotes
- Proverbs 12:25: Anxiety in a man's heart weighs him down, but a good word makes him glad.
- Psalm 9:9: The Lord is a stronghold for the oppressed, a stronghold in times of trouble.
- Romans 12:2: Do not be conformed to this world, but be transformed by the renewal of your mind, that by testing you may discern what is the will of God, what is good and acceptable and perfect.
- Psalm 34:18: The Lord is near to the brokenhearted and saves the crushed in spirit.
- 2 Timothy 1:7: For God gave us a spirit not of fear but of power and love and self-control.
- Revelation 21:4: He will wipe away every tear from their eyes, and death shall be no more, neither shall there be mourning, nor crying, nor pain anymore, for the former things have passed away.”
- John 10:10: The thief comes only to steal and kill and destroy. I came that they may have life and have it abundantly.
- Isaiah 40:31: But they who wait for the Lord shall renew their strength; they shall mount up with wings like eagles; they shall run and not be weary; they shall walk and not faint.
- Deuteronomy 31:8: It is the Lord who goes before you. He will be with you; he will not leave you or forsake you. Do not fear or be dismayed.”
- Psalm 3:3: But you, O Lord, are a shield about me, my glory, and the lifter of my head.
- Isaiah 26:3: You keep him in perfect peace whose mind is stayed on you, because he trusts in you.
- Matthew 6:33: But seek first the kingdom of God and his righteousness, and all these things will be added to you.
- Psalm 30:11: You have turned for me my mourning into dancing; you have loosed my sackcloth and clothed me with gladness.
- Psalm 102:1-11: A Prayer of one afflicted, when he is faint and pours out his complaint before the Lord. Hear my prayer, O Lord; let my cry come to you! Do not hide your face from me in the day of my distress! Incline your ear to me; answer me speedily in the day when I call! For my days pass away like smoke, and my bones burn like a furnace. My heart is struck down like grass and has withered; I forget to eat my bread. Because of my loud groaning my bones cling to my flesh. ...
- Philippians 4:8: Finally, brothers, whatever is true, whatever is honorable, whatever is just, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is commendable, if there is any excellence, if there is anything worthy of praise, think about these things.
- Romans 15:13: May the God of hope fill you with all joy and peace in believing, so that by the power of the Holy Spirit you may abound in hope.
- Psalm 40:1-3: To the choirmaster. A Psalm of David. I waited patiently for the Lord; he inclined to me and heard my cry. He drew me up from the pit of destruction, out of the miry bog, and set my feet upon a rock, making my steps secure. He put a new song in my mouth, a song of praise to our God. Many will see and fear, and put their trust in the Lord.
- Philippians 4:13: I can do all things through him who strengthens me.
- John 16:33: I have said these things to you, that in me you may have peace. In the world you will have tribulation. But take heart; I have overcome the world.”
- Matthew 11:28-30: Come to me, all who labor and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest. Take my yoke upon you, and learn from me, for I am gentle and lowly in heart, and you will find rest for your souls. For my yoke is easy, and my burden is light.”
- Romans 8:38-39: For I am sure that neither death nor life, nor angels nor rulers, nor things present nor things to come, nor powers, nor height nor depth, nor anything else in all creation, will be able to separate us from the love of God in Christ Jesus our Lord.
- Philippians 4:4: Rejoice in the Lord always; again I will say, Rejoice.
- Psalm 23:1-6: A Psalm of David. The Lord is my shepherd; I shall not want. He makes me lie down in green pastures. He leads me beside still waters. He restores my soul. He leads me in paths of righteousness for his name's sake. Even though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil, for you are with me; your rod and your staff, they comfort me. You prepare a table before me in the presence of my enemies; you anoint my head with oil; my cup overflows.
- Psalm 139:1-24: To the choirmaster. A Psalm of David. O Lord, you have searched me and known me! You know when I sit down and when I rise up; you discern my thoughts from afar. You search out my path and my lying down and are acquainted with all my ways. Even before a word is on my tongue, behold, O Lord, you know it altogether. You hem me in, behind and before, and lay your hand upon me.
- Jeremiah 1:19: They will fight against you, but they shall not prevail against you, for I am with you, declares the Lord, to deliver you.”
- Psalm 77:4: You hold my eyelids open; I am so troubled that I cannot speak.
- 1 Peter 1:13-16: Therefore, preparing your minds for action, and being sober-minded, set your hope fully on the grace that will be brought to you at the revelation of Jesus Christ. As obedient children, do not be conformed to the passions of your former ignorance, but as he who called you is holy, you also be holy in all your conduct, since it is written, “You shall be holy, for I am holy.”
- Joshua 1:9: Have I not commanded you? Be strong and courageous. Do not be frightened, and do not be dismayed, for the Lord your God is with you wherever you go.”
- Psalm 103:1-5: Of David. Bless the Lord, O my soul, and all that is within me, bless his holy name! Bless the Lord, O my soul, and forget not all his benefits, who forgives all your iniquity, who heals all your diseases, who redeems your life from the pit, who crowns you with steadfast love and mercy, who satisfies you with good so that your youth is renewed like the eagle's.
- Matthew 28:20: Teaching them to observe all that I have commanded you. And behold, I am with you always, to the end of the age.
- John 14:18: I will not leave you as orphans; I will come to you.
- 2 Corinthians 7:10: For godly grief produces a repentance that leads to salvation without regret, whereas worldly grief produces death.
These Bible verses for depressed person may help your relatives or friends too. So be sure to share it with them!
READ ALSO: Powerful prayer points with Bible verses