When you feel that fear overwhelms you, read these Bible verses about fear - and remember the promises God gives you - to help you live free and victorious. Life in fear limits us. Instead of reaching our goals, we put our energy into protecting ourselves from every threat - real or imaginary. With this way of thinking, it is simply not possible to show the unselfish, selfless love to God. So, be sure to help yourself with these scriptures on fear.
Top Bible verses on fear
- 2 Timothy 1:7: For God gave us a spirit not of fear but of power and love and self-control.
- 1 John 4:18: There is no fear in love, but perfect love casts out fear. For fear has to do with punishment, and whoever fears has not been perfected in love.
- Psalm 34:4: I sought the Lord, and he answered me and delivered me from all my fears.
- Psalm 23:1-6: A Psalm of David. The Lord is my shepherd; I shall not want. He makes me lie down in green pastures. He leads me beside still waters. He restores my soul. He leads me in paths of righteousness for his name's sake. Even though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil, for you are with me; your rod and your staff, they comfort me. You prepare a table before me in the presence of my enemies; you anoint my head with oil; my cup overflows. ...
- Proverbs 29:25: The fear of man lays a snare, but whoever trusts in the Lord is safe.
- Joshua 1:9: Have I not commanded you? Be strong and courageous. Do not be frightened, and do not be dismayed, for the Lord your God is with you wherever you go.”
- Psalm 56:3-4: When I am afraid, I put my trust in you. In God, whose word I praise, in God I trust; I shall not be afraid. What can flesh do to me?
- Philippians 4:6: Do not be anxious about anything, but in everything by prayer and supplication with thanksgiving let your requests be made known to God.
- Romans 8:15: For you did not receive the spirit of slavery to fall back into fear, but you have received the Spirit of adoption as sons, by whom we cry, “Abba! Father!”
- Deuteronomy 31:6: Be strong and courageous. Do not fear or be in dread of them, for it is the Lord your God who goes with you. He will not leave you or forsake you.”
- Psalm 27:1: Of David. The Lord is my light and my salvation; whom shall I fear? The Lord is the stronghold of my life; of whom shall I be afraid?
- Romans 8:38-39: For I am sure that neither death nor life, nor angels nor rulers, nor things present nor things to come, nor powers, nor height nor depth, nor anything else in all creation, will be able to separate us from the love of God in Christ Jesus our Lord.
- Psalm 56:3: When I am afraid, I put my trust in you.
- John 14:27: Peace I leave with you; my peace I give to you. Not as the world gives do I give to you. Let not your hearts be troubled, neither let them be afraid.
- Isaiah 43:1-3: But now thus says the Lord, he who created you, O Jacob, he who formed you, O Israel: “Fear not, for I have redeemed you; I have called you by name, you are mine. When you pass through the waters, I will be with you; and through the rivers, they shall not overwhelm you; when you walk through fire you shall not be burned, and the flame shall not consume you. For I am the Lord your God, the Holy One of Israel, your Savior. I give Egypt as your ransom, Cush and Seba in exchange for you.
READ ALSO: Power of prayer quotes
- Proverbs 19:23: The fear of the Lord leads to life, and whoever has it rests satisfied; he will not be visited by harm.
- Psalm 111:10: The fear of the Lord is the beginning of wisdom; all those who practice it have a good understanding. His praise endures forever!
- 1 Peter 5:7: Casting all your anxieties on him, because he cares for you.
- Matthew 10:28: And do not fear those who kill the body but cannot kill the soul. Rather fear him who can destroy both soul and body in hell.
- Psalm 23:4: Even though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil, for you are with me; your rod and your staff, they comfort me.
- Philippians 4:6-7Do not be anxious about anything, but in everything by prayer and supplication with thanksgiving let your requests be made known to God. And the peace of God, which surpasses all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus.
- Luke 12:22-24: And he said to his disciples, “Therefore I tell you, do not be anxious about your life, what you will eat, nor about your body, what you will put on. For life is more than food, and the body more than clothing. Consider the ravens: they neither sow nor reap, they have neither storehouse nor barn, and yet God feeds them. Of how much more value are you than the birds!
- Psalm 27:1-14: Of David. The Lord is my light and my salvation; whom shall I fear? The Lord is the stronghold of my life; of whom shall I be afraid? When evildoers assail me to eat up my flesh, my adversaries and foes, it is they who stumble and fall. Though an army encamp against me, my heart shall not fear; though war arise against me, yet I will be confident. One thing have I asked of the Lord, that will I seek after: that I may dwell in the house of the Lord all the days of my life, to gaze upon the beauty of the Lord and to inquire in his temple. For he will hide me in his shelter in the day of trouble; he will conceal me under the cover of his tent; he will lift me high upon a rock.
- Proverbs 8:13: The fear of the Lord is hatred of evil. Pride and arrogance and the way of evil and perverted speech I hate.
- 1 John 1:9: If we confess our sins, he is faithful and just to forgive us our sins and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness.
- Deuteronomy 7:21: You shall not be in dread of them, for the Lord your God is in your midst, a great and awesome God.
- Proverbs 14:27: The fear of the Lord is a fountain of life, that one may turn away from the snares of death.
- Psalm 118:6: The Lord is on my side; I will not fear. What can man do to me?
- Isaiah 12:2: “Behold, God is my salvation; I will trust, and will not be afraid; for the Lord God is my strength and my song, and he has become my salvation.”
- Hebrews 13:6: So we can confidently say, “The Lord is my helper; I will not fear; what can man do to me?”
- Philippians 4:13: I can do all things through him who strengthens me.
- Isaiah 41:13: For I, the Lord your God, hold your right hand; it is I who say to you, “Fear not, I am the one who helps you.”
- 1 Peter 2:17: Honor everyone. Love the brotherhood. Fear God. Honor the emperor.
- Isaiah 43:1: But now thus says the Lord, he who created you, O Jacob, he who formed you, O Israel: “Fear not, for I have redeemed you; I have called you by name, you are mine.
- Isaiah 35:4: Say to those who have an anxious heart, “Be strong; fear not! Behold, your God will come with vengeance, with the recompense of God. He will come and save you.”
- 1 Peter 5:6-7: Humble yourselves, therefore, under the mighty hand of God so that at the proper time he may exalt you, casting all your anxieties on him, because he cares for you.
- Matthew 6:34: Therefore do not be anxious about tomorrow, for tomorrow will be anxious for itself. Sufficient for the day is its own trouble.
- Psalm 112:7-8: He is not afraid of bad news; his heart is firm, trusting in the Lord. His heart is steady; he will not be afraid, until he looks in triumph on his adversaries.
- 2 Timothy 1:6-7: For this reason I remind you to fan into flame the gift of God, which is in you through the laying on of my hands, for God gave us a spirit not of fear but of power and love and self-control.
- Jeremiah 29:11: For I know the plans I have for you, declares the Lord, plans for welfare and not for evil, to give you a future and a hope.
- Psalm 125:1: A Song of Ascents. Those who trust in the Lord are like Mount Zion, which cannot be moved, but abides forever.
- 1 Peter 3:14: But even if you should suffer for righteousness' sake, you will be blessed. Have no fear of them, nor be troubled,
- Psalm 27:1-3: Of David. The Lord is my light and my salvation; whom shall I fear? The Lord is the stronghold of my life; of whom shall I be afraid? When evildoers assail me to eat up my flesh, my adversaries and foes, it is they who stumble and fall. Though an army encamp against me, my heart shall not fear; though war arise against me, yet I will be confident.
- Psalm 94:19: When the cares of my heart are many, your consolations cheer my soul.
- Deuteronomy 3:22: You shall not fear them, for it is the Lord your God who fights for you.
We hope that after reading Bible verses about facing your fears, you feel free, you feel relief. Fear in the Bible is described is something small, weak. But God is wise and strong. He will protect you!
READ ALSO: How to study the Bible in Nigeria