Not all of us know about high blood sugar. We may have no idea what it is and even think that it’s only about those who have diabetes. But that’s not true. Each of us should take care of our health at least for avoiding any problems in the future. Therefore, we want to tell you about some vegetables that can reduce your blood sugar and help you stay healthy.
If you are reading this now, it means that your health is not just a word for you. As we said, it does not matter if you have some problems or not, there is still a must to take care of your health.
Today, we are going to discuss an important topic - blood sugar and how you can keep it in check. First, let's get to the topic at hand, which is foods (particularly vegetables) that can reduce high blood sugar.
Food that may reduce high blood sugar
READ ALSO: Olive oil health benefits
So why are we focusing on vegetables specifically? Because they are very useful for everyone in this world and it doesn't matter if you have diabetes, any other illness, or even if you are completely healthy. Plus, veggies can be a perfect addition to any other food. Seems like even the fattiest junk food may become much healthier when you eat it with some vegetables.
Healthy diet can boost your wellness and keep your blood sugar level in normal range. However, before making any dietary shifts, you should visit a doctor first and get recommendations from a specialist. No matter how good they are for you, vegetables cannot replace medicine, but they can amplify its effects.
Now, let’s finally move to the list of useful vegetables:
- Spinach, lettuce, kale, collards, chards and all similar leafy greens. If you add them to your main course everyday, there is a 14 percent reduction of risk for developing 2nd type of diabetes.
- Garlic. Garlic is known for lowering fasting blood glucose, which appears in your blood sugar when you skipped the dinner for example. Studies suggest that onions may have the same effect on blood sugar levels as well.
- Avocado. Avocado is full of polyunsaturated fatty acids and monounsaturated fatty acids. Both of them are very important in creating a healthy blood sugar eating plan that can improve insulin sensitivity. As a plus, avocado has a great impact on the blood pressure and inflammation. Also, the risk of metabolic syndrome is minimal if you eat avocados. And all this is just a part of what avocado can do to your health and it’s not only about blood sugar.
- Tomatoes. It does not matter if you eat tomatoes raw or cooked, they don’t lose the lycopene, which is a strong substance which reduces the risk of cancer, heart disease and so on. The studies prove that 200 grams of raw tomatoes a day may reduce the blood pressure. Such result is good news to people with 2nd type of diabetes.
- Beans. Beans are full of protein and some essential minerals like magnesium and potassium. According to the studies, beans is a perfect way for controlling the glycemic levels for people with 2nd type of diabetes.
Causes and symptoms of high sugar level
When the blood sugar level is high, even from time to time, it has a name, which is hyperglycemia. It usually affects people with both 1 and 2nd type of diabetes. While having this problem, it is very important to understand the symptoms of high blood sugar levels in order to prevent any complications.
Let’s take a look at those things, which may cause your blood sugar lever higher:
- Eating too many grams of carbohydrates for the amount of insulin you took;
- Being inactive;
- Strenuous physical activity.
If any of these causes appear in your life, as a result, you will get such symptoms in the beginning:
- Increased thirst;
- Blurred vision;
- Feeling tired;
- Weight loss.
The “bigger” symptoms will look like:
- Slow healing cuts and sores;
- Bad vision;
- Nerve damage (which can cause painful cold, loss of hair etc);
- Problems with stomach;
- Damage to the eyes, blood vessels and kidneys.
When having a high blood sugar level, it is very important to follow a healthy diet to not let the illness ruin you completely. Although, such diet will never be bad for someone who is healthy and in fact, does not need much accuracy when it comes to food. Also, no one says that healthy diet is always something that tastes awful and is impossible to eat. Such diet may be really tasty and useful for you.
Plus, those veggies that we have as an example for you, are not, actually, the only food you would able to eat for your whole life. All they are just additions to the foods you like and prefer to eat everyday. That’s not so hard to put some beans on your plate, for example, but your organism will thank you for this in the end.
READ ALSO: What are the benefits of eating cucumber at night?