We often underestimate essential oils and their effects in our lives, although they may be very useful for our health and even our mood. Today, we will talk about citrus essential oils, especially lemon, orange and lime oils. After reading this, you will change your mind about them and you'll definitely get one for yourself immediately.
Today, we are going to talk about essential oils. The amount of essential oils is huge nowadays and this fact usually confuses our minds as we simply do not usually understand whether we should use this or that oil. Therefore, let's learn how to make essential oils and what their benefits are.
How to make essential oils from citrus peels
As an example, we have chosen citrus oils. There are a lot of ways to make essential oil, we will show you how to make essential oils from citrus peels.
- At first, you have to remove the peels. You can either cut the peel from your orange or lemon or grind it off with a zester. The amount of peels depend on how much oil you would like to get in the end.
- Then, you should dry the peels. You can place them on a paper towel and leave until they are completely dry. It may take a couple of days. To make this process faster, chop the peels into small pieces.
- After your peels are dry, place them in a food processor and grind until they have coarse consistency. If you used the zester before, then you won’t need to grind the peels.
- Fill a bowl with warm water and place the bottle of grain alcohol in it and let it soak for about 20 minutes. If you use alcohol instead of water, it may help you get more essential oil.
- Place the zested peels in mason jar, pour water or alcohol to completely cover the peels. Then, shake the jar for several minutes.
- Let the mixture sit for two or three days. You may also shake it two or three times a day.
- Use a coffee filter or cheese cloth and strain the mixture into shallow dish.
- Cover your bowl with a cloth and let it sit for a few more days. This allows the alcohol in the mixture to evaporate. And when whole alcohol is evaporated, your essential oil is ready.
- Take the oil (it may be olive, peanut or avocado oil). It helps to create a mild flavor.
- Make sure you wash your citrus before you start. Then grate off the peel.
- Place the peels with oil on heat. Warm your pan over medium heat for about five minutes. Turn it off when the oil begins to bubble.
- Let the whole mixture cool for a few minutes. Then use a slotted spoon to remove the pieces of zest from the oil. For having stronger flavor, leave the zest with oil for a while and strain it after.
- If you mix your essential oil with Castile soap, you may get a great cleaning solvent. Simply, add one tea spoon of citrus oil into a bottle of Castile soap.
That’s simple recipe, but you get a lot of benefits from it like: bug repellent (insects hate limonene); deodorant (you can deodorize everything with it and mask almost any smell).
Characteristics of lemon oil
READ ALSO: How to make perfume oil at home
This oil is extracted from the Citrus limonum. It has bright color and strong smell. The benefits which you may get from this oil are scientifically established. It is one of the most important essential oils to have in hand.
As we already know how to make essential oils at home, let’s see what benefits they include. The first is lemon essential oil:
- If you need to get rid of nausea, lemon essential oil may be a perfect natural remedy.
- It also helps to soothe digestive problems, including gastritis and constipation. It reduces the symptoms of gastritis and works as a protective agent against stomach legions.
- If you suffer from acne, lemon essential oil may be a good friend for you. It nourishes and hydrates damaged skin. It also has strong antioxidant and anti-aging effects.
- Lemon essential oil can be used in case of weight loss. It is considered as one of the best essential oils for weight loss. It supports your metabolism and cleanses your lymphatic glands.
- As we know, lemon has protective and cleansing effect on our bodies. This essential oil also helps to defend you against harmful pathogens and it is able to stimulate lymphatic drainage, which helps the body to cleanse itself of wastes and toxins.
- Due to its antibacterial and antifungal effects, lemon essential oil works as a natural remedy for many oral conditions, including oral thrush and bad breath. Also, there is a whitening effect from lemon oil on your teeth.
- If you have any type of allergy, this essential oil is for you. It boosts your immune system and fights respiratory conditions.
Have you ever thought that such a simple thing as lemon essential oil may have that much benefits for your health? Next time, you have any problem, try to remember this list of benefits and use it as burnet and vaporizer, blend it in your massage oil or add some drops in your bathtub, in lotions and creams or even use it as mouthwash and gargle.
Characteristics of lime oil
There are two types of lime, which are used for the essential oil making: Mexican lime (Key lime) and the Tahiti lime (Persian or Bearss lime). Lime oil has a strong citrus scent. Traditionally, it is used as a flavoring agent for your food, but of course, that’s not all and there are many other ways to get benefits from this type of essential oil.
- If you get a wound on your body, lime essential oil can prevent it from being infected. It also helps with such issues as relieving skin problems like sores, rashes, psoriasis or carbuncles.
- It relieves the respiratory disorders, helps in treating bronchitis and other viral infections like flu, coughs and colds.
- It may also strengthen the grip of the gums and prevent the tooth loss if you use it as mouthwash.
- Lime essential oil helps killing the bacteria which causes diarrhea, food poisoning, cholera and typhoid.
- It is also an important component of a detox regimen that promotes your liver health.
We’ve taken into attention only citrus essential oils today and we’ve learned how many benefits they have and the many different situations we can use them.
Seems like we can solve 99.9% of our problems just by using essential oils. Usually, they all are affordable for everyone, they don’t need much efforts to use them and can be a perfect way to make your life easier naturally.
READ ALSO: Benefits of aloe vera on face overnight