Presidential election: Congo shuts down internet to prevent speculations about results

Presidential election: Congo shuts down internet to prevent speculations about results

- The government of Congo has shut down internet across the Central African country

- The government made the decision in order to prevent social media speculations about election results

- The citizens of Congo went to the poll on Sunday, December 30, 2018, to choose a successor to President Joseph Kabila

In a bid to prevent social media speculations about presidential election results, the government of Congo has shut down internet across the Central African country.

The decision was taken by the government following malfunction of machines and other problems during the election, which was held on Sunday, December 30, 2018, The Washington Post reports.

Legit.ng gathers that Congolese went to the poll to choose a successor to President Joseph Kabila in what could be Congo's first peaceful, democratic transfer of power since independence from Belgium in 1960.

READ ALSO: NAIJ.com upgrades to Legit.ng: a letter from our Editor-in-Chief Bayo Olupohunda

According to report, official results of the election are to be announced on January 15, though preliminary results are expected within a week.

Report has it that many voters could not find their names on the lists of registered voters. More than 500 of the electronic voting machines were said to have malfunctioned.

Expressing his displeasure over the conduct of the election, Parole Kamizelo of Kinshasa, said: “You cannot call this an election. This is an electoral comedy.”

Over 10,000 were said to have people lined up in Beni on Sunday, December 30, 2018, to stage their own election, vowing to deliver the results to the electoral commission. People cast paper ballots and sang in Swahili, “Voting is our right and nobody can stop us.”

Meanwhile, Legit.ng previously reported that mobile operators in Bangladesh were ordered by the country's telecom regulators to shut down high-speed mobile internet services until midnight of Sunday, December 30, the day of a national election.

A spokesman for the Bangladesh Telecommunication Commission, made the disclosure on Saturday, December 29, adding that the measure is effective immediately.

Zakir Hussain Khan said: “The decision has been taken to prevent rumors and propaganda surrounding the vote."

In another previous report by Legit.ng, the Peoples Democratic Party (PDP) said voting decisions of Nigerians in the 2019 general elections will determine the future of the country.

The party’s national chairman, Uche Secondus, stated this in his new year message issued in Abuja by his media aide, Ike Abonyi, on Tuesday, January 1.

The national chairman of the opposition party advised Nigerians to see 2019 as “the restoration year” for the country.

PAY ATTENTION: Install our latest app for Android, read best news on Nigeria’s #1 news app

Secondus said that 2019 is critical in the life of the nation as it would be a turning point in the emerging political evolution.

He said: “The general election in the country this year 2019 provides ample opportunity for the country to be rescued and restored as the biggest black nation in the world both economically and politically.

“This year provides us the ground to save our democracy and the country from the comatose state misrule has placed it.”

Secondus said that 2019 provides the way to correct the mistake Nigeria made in 2015, saying that good decisions by the voters in 2019 is needed to recover the country.

NAIJ.com (naija.ng) -> Legit.ng We have updated to serve you better

Nigeria News Today: INEC May Ban Electronic Devices At The Polling Booths | - on Legit TV

Source: Legit

Mailfire view pixel