- The Nigerian Army denied a report claiming that about 700 soldiers are missing while more than 2,000 were trapped in Baga
- The Army explained that there is an ongoing clearing and mop up operations in Baga and nobody could give details of the encounter yet
- The security body, therefore, advised the news medium (not Legit.ng) that published the report to always cross-check its facts before publishing
The Nigerian Army has accused an online news medium, Sahara Reporters, of peddling lies in its report claiming that about 700 soldiers are missing and more than 2,000 have been trapped in Baga.
In a statement signed by the director of Army public relations, Brigadier General Sani Kukasheka Usman and made available to Legit.ng on Friday, December 28, the Army said the report by Sahara Reporters “alleging that such number of soldiers were trapped and the Nigerian Air Force (NAF) could not do anything to extricate them” is not only untrue but a deliberate mischief to create erroneous impression about the military.
The Army explained that there is an ongoing clearing and mop up operations in Baga and nobody could give details of the encounter yet.
Read the statement below:
“Our attention has been drawn to a news story with the headline “EXCLUSIVE: ‘About 700 Soldiers Missing, More Than 2,000 Trapped’ As Boko Haram Takes Over Baga” on Sahara Reporters website alleging that such number of soldiers were trapped and the Nigerian Air Force (NAF) could not do anything to extricate them.
"This is not only untrue but a deliberate mischief on the part of the medium to create erroneous impression about the military and the concerted effort of the ongoing clearing and mop up operations in the general area. Therefore, no one could give accurate details of the encounter yet, as the troops have been reinforced and are busy with pursuit and mopping up operations against the terrorists.
“Consequently, Sahara Reporters is advised to be more responsible in its reportage and always cross check its facts before posting it on its website.
“The medium’s position is understandable because the reality on the ground does tally with an earlier scripted or expected narrative handed out by Boko Haram terrorists and their sympathizers as was the case in previous instance. We wish to reiterate that we shall keep the public informed of true position of things in the Theatre."
PAY ATTENTION: Download our mobile app to enjoy the latest news updates
Meanwhile, Legit.ng previously reported that the Nigerian Army said it will commence Exercise Eke 111, otherwise known as Python Dance, in all parts of Nigeria to deal with security challenges during the forthcoming 2019 general elections.
The disclosure was made on Friday, December, 28, by the chief of army staff, Lieutenant General Tukur Buratai, at a flag-off ceremony in Maiduguri, Borno state.
The Army chief stated that the exercise would last from January 1, 2019 to February 28, which effectively covers the period of the 2019 elections.
NAIJ.com (naija.ng) -> Legit.ng We have updated to serve you better
Can Nigerian Soldiers really not deal with Boko Haram fighters?| Legit TV