- Escalating attacks by armed groups suspected to be Boko Haram are triggering new displacements in the northeast
- 2,000 newly displaced people recently arrived in Teacher’s Village camp in Maiduguri, according to report
- Hundreds of people fleeing conflict have also arrived in Monguno reception centre, in Borno, with already overstretched resources
The UN Office for the Coordination of Humanitarian Affairs (OCHA) has said escalating attacks by non-state armed groups suspected to be Boko Haram are triggering new displacements in Northeast Nigeria, especially Borno.
The News Agency of Nigeria reports that OCHA said more than 2,000 newly displaced people had recently arrived in Teacher’s Village camp in Maiduguri, after fleeing attacks by non-state armed groups as well as clashes between armed groups and the military in Kukawa, Kauwa, Doro Baga, Kekeno and Bunduram near Lake Chad.
Legit.ng gathers that OCHA said the latest influx, which started in late November, has brought additional pressure on already stretched facilities in the camp.
According to reports, the National Emergency Management Agency officially registered over 2,000 internally displaced persons in just 24 hours.
OCHA said humanitarian organisations were supporting the Nigerian government-led response in providing life-saving support, including food, non-food items, shelter and healthcare services.
Hundreds of people fleeing conflict have also arrived in Monguno reception centre, in Borno, with already overstretched resources, the UN relief agency said.
Humanitarian organisations provided shelters, relief kits, and water and sanitation, OCHA said.
OCHA said in both locations, the authorities and humanitarian partners were currently mobilising critical resources including food, shelters and medical supplies to assist the new arrivals.
More than seven million people in Northeast Nigeria require humanitarian assistance and protection, including 1.8 million internally displaced people.
The 2018 Humanitarian Response Plan for Nigeria requests $1.05 billion to assist 6.2 million people and is currently 66% funded.
Meanwhile, Legit.ng previously reported that Nigerian Army troops of 3 Battalion in Gamboru Ngala, repelled an attack by the Boko Haram terrorists who attempted to invade Ngala internally displaced persons camp in Borno state on Saturday, October 6.
In a series of tweets from it's official handle, the army said 3 Boko Haram terrorists were killed while others escaped with gunshot wounds.
NAIJ.com (naija.ng) -> Legit.ng We have updated to serve you better
Nigerian Air Force Operations Against Boko Haram | Legit TV