Police allegedly torture 20-year-old to death over suspected theft

Police allegedly torture 20-year-old to death over suspected theft

- Some police officers in Ogun state allegedly tortured a 20-year-old guard, Jubril Mohammed, to death

- The deceased was arrested on suspicion of theft after goods worth millions of naira were stolen from a company warehouse

- The deceased was initially released on bail but was re-arrested when the case was transferred to a different police station where he reportedly met his demise

- An investigation is being carried out into the matter

A 20-year-old guard, Jubril Mohammed, was allegedly tortured to death by operatives of the Zonal Inspection Squad, Obada, Abeokuta, Ogun state.

The deceased was said to be among some suspects transferred from the Ibafo Police Station in a case of suspected stealing of company products, Punch reports.

Legit.ng gathers that Mohammed, who hails from Borno state, was allegedly beaten to death by detectives investigating the theft, a few days after arriving at the station.

According to a cousin of the deceased, one Saheed Isa, Mohammed had been working as a security guard at the company, Barka Nigeria Limited, Magboro, for about one year.

READ ALSO: Why I am most qualified to criticise Buhari - Obasanjo

He said: “The owner of the company, a Lebanese, travelled out of the country. Jubril was called by some co-workers to join them in cleaning the warehouse preparatory to the arrival of their boss.

“That was going on when he was told that some things had been stolen from the warehouse. He asked the co-workers how he could know anything about it when he did not have access to the warehouse keys. Later, their boss invited the police and they were taken to Ibafo Police Station on Friday, December 14, 2018."

Isa further disclosed that his cousin had identified two workers who earlier approached him to be part of a shady deal, even though he denied knowledge of the missing goods during interrogation.

Mohammed reportedly claimed that the men had asked him to either take N300,000, quit the job or get killed.

Isa continued: “He told us that he was afraid and he told other workers. He said he decided to agree with the gang to avoid being killed, but told the workers he confided in that when the gang brings trucks to steal the goods from the company, he would raise the alarm on them and shut the gate so that they could be arrested.

“Unknown to him, the gang had carried out the theft without informing him. That was why he was surprised when he was told goods had been stolen, and he quickly pointed out those he thought were culprits."

According to Isa, the deceased's father, Ibrahim Mohammed had paid N30,000 for the bail and his cousin was released after a few days in custody.

READ ALSO: NAIJ.com upgrades to Legit.ng: a letter from our Editor-in-Chief Bayo Olupohunda

However, the case was transferred to the ZIS office at Abeokuta and the deceased was re-arrested on Thursday, December 20. Jubril’s father, Ibrahim, said when he visited his son a day after he was re-arrested, he could not recognise him any longer.

The elder Mohammed said: “I went to the station on Friday and after waiting till evening, they brought him to me. I saw a lot of injuries on my son. They had tortured him seriously. He said they told him to confess or else they would kill him. He could barely walk. The owner of the company said the goods stolen were valued N7m to N8m.

“When I returned to visit him on Monday, their commander called me into his office and asked me if my son had been sick before, and I said no. He said my son was dead. I asked the police to release his corpse to me, but they said they want to conduct an autopsy. I asked if that would make him wake up. I want to bury him. I don’t have anybody to fight for me.”

CSP Dolapo Badmus, the Zone 2 police public relations officer, said an investigation was being carried out into the matter.

The PRO said: “It’s a case of people suspected to have stolen their company goods estimated at N10m. About five of them were arrested. The suspect in question made a voluntary confessional statement to the police and even led operatives to the receiver of the stolen goods; the goods were recovered.

“While the investigation was ongoing, he complained of stomach ache. The father also attested that he had an ulcer. He brought medication to be used, but the police said they cannot administer it. They took him to a hospital where he died.

"They initially thought he was pretending but he was taken to a hospital where he died. An autopsy will be done on the corpse to determine the actual cause of death.”

PAY ATTENTION: Install our latest app for Android, read best news on Nigeria’s #1 news app

In a similar development, Legit.ng previously reported that a young lady took to her Twitter handle to accuse operative of the Special Anti-Robbery Squad (SARS) of killing a young man in Kaduna.

The lady who was identified as @winnie_wesley on social media, disclosed that some SARS officials tortured a 300 level student of Kaduna State University (KASU) to death over stolen N10,000.

NAIJ.com (naija.ng) -> Legit.ng: Same great journalism, upgraded for better service!

Is the Nigerian police your friend? - on Legit TV:

Source: Legit.ng

Mailfire view pixel