One soldier wounded as Nigerian troops repel another Boko Haram attack in Yobe

One soldier wounded as Nigerian troops repel another Boko Haram attack in Yobe

- The Nigerian Army said its troops had repelled attack coordinated by Boko Haram insurgents

- The insurgents had attacked a Military Forward Operational Base, in Kukareta community of Yobe state on Monday, December 24

- The Deputy Director, Army Public Relations, Col. Onyema Nwachukwu, said a soldier was wounded in the attack

The Nigerian Army on Tuesday, December 25, said its troops had repelled attack coordinated by Boko Haram insurgents at a military formation in Kukareta, Damaturu local government area of Yobe state.

In a statement, Col. Onyema Nwachukwu, the Deputy Director, Army Public Relations, said the insurgents had on Monday, December 24, at about 6: 30 pm, attacked a Military Forward Operational Base, in Kukareta community of Yobe.

Nwachukwu said that the gallant troops engaged the insurgents in fierce battle and repelled the attack, killing many of them, adding that a soldier was wounded in the attack.

READ ALSO: Killings: Buhari should visit Zamfara before campaigning in Akwa Ibom - Shehu Sani

He disclosed that 13 soldiers and two police personnel also lost their lives when they run into an ambush by the insurgents on Damaturu-Maiduguri Road.

“In another encounter; troops of 1 Division on escort duty along Damaturu – Maiduguri Road, yesterday fought through an ambush staged by Boko Haram terrorists.

“The gallant troops engaged the terrorists in a fire fight, courageously wading through the ambush. Sadly, thirteen military and a police personnel including an officer, paid the supreme price while extricating themselves from the ambush.

“A clearance operation to pursue and eliminate the Boko Haram terrorists’ ambush party is still ongoing,” he said.

According to him, bodies of the gallant soldiers and the wounded were evacuated, adding that the wounded soldier was currently receiving treatment.

PAY ATTENTION: NAIJ.com upgrades to Legit.ng: a letter from our Editor-in-Chief Bayo Olupohunda

Legit.ng previously reported that a report by The Punch indicates that Nigerian soldiers have begun intense lobbying to escape deployments into the northeast, following the escalating wave of Boko Haram attacks on military formations in the region.

According to the report, as part of the fallout of the Boko Haram attacks on military formations in some areas of Borno and Yobe states in November, more soldiers were now lobbying to avoid postings to the volatile northeast region.

Also, It was learnt that a significant number of the soldiers presently stationed in the northeast were lobbying for redeployment.

NAIJ.com (naija.ng) -> Legit.ng. We have upgraded to serve you better.

Leadership of Nigeria is not meant for our forefathers| Legit TV

Source: Legit

Mailfire view pixel