- A partial US government shutdown has taken effect after US lawmakers failed to break a budget impasse
- Funding for about a quarter of US federal agencies lapsed at midnight a President Donald Trump and US lawmakers disagree over a deal
- Both the House and Senate are said to be trying to resolve the issue
The BBC is reporting that a partial US government shutdown has taken effect after US lawmakers failed to break a budget impasse
According to the report, President Donald Trump, who has to sign off on any deal, is insisting at least $5bn (£4bn) be included for his long-promised wall along the Mexican border.
In the absence of a deal, funding for about a quarter of US federal agencies lapsed at midnight on Saturday, December 22.
Both the House and Senate are set to be back in session later today to try to resolve the issue.
As the row continues, nine of 15 federal departments, including State, Homeland Security, Transportation, Agriculture and Justice are now partially shutting down.
What this means is that hundreds of thousands of US federal employees will have to work unpaid or be put on temporary leave.
President Trump is struggling to have his way with the US legislature, as he does not have the 60 votes in the 100-seat Senate he needs to get the House budget passed.
Senate Democratic leader Chuck Schumer said: “President Trump has thrown a temper tantrum and now has us careening towards a 'Trump shutdown' over Christmas.”
In a video address published on his Twitter account shortly before the shutdown began, Trump said "there is nothing" his Republican party can do about the shutdown, adding that, “we need the Democrats to give us their votes to resolve it.”
With the shutdown, about 380,000 government employees will be made to take temporary, unpaid leave.
Meanwhile, 420,000 employees working in essential roles - considered necessary for the "protection of life and property" - will keep working, without being paid.
This week, President Trump's supporters created a crowdfunding page for the building process - an appeal that has so far raised more than $13m (£10m) in just four days.
Meanwhile, a month ago, Jon S. Tigar, a United States (US) district judge in San Francisco issued a temporary restraining order on President Donald Trump's refusal to grant asylum to migrants.
The request was made by the American Civil Liberties Union and the Center for Constitutional Rights, which quickly sued after President Donald Trump issued the ban in November 2018, response to the caravans of migrants that have started to arrive at the U.S.-Mexico border.
Trump had issued a proclamation that said anyone who crossed the southern border would be ineligible for asylum. The regulations, which will remain in place for three months absent a court order, could potentially make it harder for thousands of people who enter the U.S. to avoid deportation.
NAIJ.com (naija.ng) upgrades to Legit.ng to serve its readers better.
Street Gist: Will Nigeria be a better place with Trump as president? | Legit TV