- Nigerian government has revealed its plan to tackle growing insecurity in Zamfara and Kaduna states
- Defence minister, Mansur Dani-Ali said the ministry of defence and the Armed Forces of Nigeria have remained committed and resolute in tackling current security challenges across the country
- According to him, the ministry has directed the General Officer Commanding 8 Division to relocate his Tactical Headquarters from Sokoto to Gusau
The minister of defence, Mansur Dan-Ali has reacted to the loss of lives and properties in an attack on farmers in Zamfara and Kaduna states.
Dan-Ali while commiserating with the government and people of the two states described the incidents as very sad and unfortunate.
He also prayed to Almighty Allah to grant the lives lost an eternal rest and also give their families the fortitude to bear the unfortunate lost.
In a statement issued on Friday, December 21, by the public relations officer of the ministry of defence, Tukur Gasau, the minister said that the his office and the Armed Forces of Nigeria have remained committed and resolute in tackling current security challenges across the country.
He said the military has been committed in ensuring safety of lives and properties as well as protecting the nation from both external and internal aggression.
“It is pertinent to state that the Armed Forces of Nigeria is currently engaged in various Internal Security operations across the country and has made concerted efforts in tackling the incessant killings by armed bandits and other criminal activities in the North-West particularly in Zamfara and Kaduna states," the statement said.
“It is worthy to note that some of the efforts made by the federal government include the creation of 8 Division, Nigerian Army in Sokoto and the establishment of a Brigade in Gusau and another one to be located in Birnin Kebbi to address security challenges in the northwest. Also, the Nigerian Air Force Quick Response Force was established in Gusau to give air support to the ground troops.
Additionally, 500 troops of Nigerian Armed Forces and 500 other security agents were recently deployed to join Operation Sharan Daji to curb the activities of armed bandits and other security challenges in Zamfara and Kaduna states and the region in general.
“Recently, the ministry directed the General Officer Commanding 8 Division to relocate his Tactical Headquarters from Sokoto to Gusau to adequately coordinate activities of Operation Sharan Daji until normalcy returns in the state.
“These are all geared towards realizing the mandate of the Ministry of Defence and achieving the Federal Government’s drive on security of its citizens and properties. However, it is noteworthy to state that the issue of drug abuse, unemployment and governance among others contributes to the deplorable security situation in Zamfara state.
“It is therefore suggested that the all necessary stakeholders should come together and take necessary steps to address these issues and to provide adequate support to security agencies so as to get maximum cooperation," it added.
PAY ATTENTION: Install our latest app for Android, read best news on Nigeria’s #1 news app
Meanwhile, Legit.ng previously reported that the office of the Nation Security Adviser had said that the abuse of social media by people who do not mean well for Nigeria caused the several crises and killings taking place in the country, particularly in states like Kaduna, Zamfara, Benue and Plateau.
The national security adviser, Major General Babagana Monguno, intelligence findings revealed that crises and killings were fuelled by abuse of social media, Vanguard reports.
Monguno made this disclosure on Thursday, October 25, during the General Security Appraisal Committee meeting at the Office of NSA, ONSA, in Abuja.
Benue Elders Speak on Herdsmen Attacks | on Legit.ng TV