- The viral video showing Governor Umar Ganduje receiving money from contractors is still generating reactions
- Ganduje's predecessor, Dr Rabiu Kwankwaso, has spoken on the video for the first time
- According to Kwankwaso, he did everything within his power to ensure the videos were not released to the public
Former governor of Kano state, Dr. Rabiu Kwankwaso, on Tuesday, November 27, said he was aware of the viral video showing Governor Umar Ganduje receiving money from some contractors.
Kwankwaso who is Ganduje's predecessor said he did everything possible to stop the release to the public to no avail.
The former governor who is the current senator representing Kano central senatorial district, stated this on a live programme on Aminchi FM in Kano.
He said he pleaded with the publisher of the online newspaper, Daily Nigerian, which released the video, but noted that they refused to heed his plea.
His words: “I was aware of the video clips before they were released to the public and I pleaded that they should not be released, but they didn’t listen to me.
“I am not happy that the video clips were made public because it is an embarrassment to the state and its people, including myself.”
The videos which were recorded in 2017, were made public last month. The governor was accused of collecting $5 million described as bribe from some contractors operating in the state, who were said to be behind the videos leakage.
The governor reacted immediately, denying collecting money from any contractor, even as he said it was a calculated attempt to impugn his person.
The Kano state House of Assembly thereafter summoned the publisher of the online newspaper, Jaafar Jaafar, to appear before an ad hoc committee set up to investigate the incident and submit clips of the video, which he did.
The governor was then invited by the committee, after he had threatened to sue the online newspaper.
PAY ATTENTION: Read the news on Nigeria’s #1 news app
Ganduje, however, failed to appear before the committee, but instead sent his information commissioner, Mohammed Garba, to stand in for him.
He later sued the online newspaper for N3 billion, despite earlier intervention by the House of Assembly that he should not do so.
NAIJ.com (naija.ng) -> Legit.ng. We have updated to serve you better.
Senator Kwankwaso Rabiu announces his Presidential Bid (Election 2019) | Legit TV