While writing an essay or doing a research one can face a question on how to avoid plagiarism. To know how to add information and avoid even unintentional plagiarism. Read the article to find out how to paraphrase and avoid plagiarism effectively!
If you do research on a particular topic or write an essay, you have to study plenty of information. The problem is that you, probably, will have a desire to add some of it into your work. Among the difficulties, you may face is the lack of your own opinions on the topic and plagiarism.
Plagiarism is the act of stealing somebody’s words or ideas to present them as your own. This article will help you know how to paraphrase necessary information and avoid plagiarism to get the best results and avoid punishment.
How to avoid unintentional plagiarism
First of all, let’s find out the meaning of unintentional plagiarism. Unintentional plagiarism is the citing of somebody’s ideas or speech incorrectly. It may happen if a person has not enough skills on note-making, citing references or has no idea about their usage and role in his work.
To avoid with unintentional plagiarism, you can try:
- study some information about the necessity, the rules and the role of citation;
- practice in note-making: choose a topic, after that read the source of information (a small passage will be enough), and write down the main idea of what you have just read in your own words;
- learn how to use references: if you refer to somebody’s work, you show how useful the material can be for the development of skills or life and prove your awareness on the subject.
How to avoid plagiarism: tricks and tips
With the growth of technological development, people more often prefer to use the available information rather than their own thoughts. One will always find at least one person, who wants to do nothing and get good results. In this case, the tricks, which may mislead plagiarism software, come into play.
What are the tricks you can use today:
- “Quote your friend.” If your friend has recently done the same essay (successfully), you can copy his work. But note, this trick is possible only when your teacher has no “copies” or tools to compare.
- Symbol replacement. This trick is used to reconstruct a text in the way so that Latin symbols turn into Cyrillic ones.
- Word rearranging. A weak plagiarism checker will hardly suspect you in cheating if you slightly replace the word order.
- The intermingling of sources. This trick is rather often used nowadays and fully depicted by the joke: “Stealing from one author is plagiarism while stealing from many is a dissertation”.
How to paraphrase a sentence to avoid plagiarism online
Paraphrasing is one of the effective ways to avoid plagiarism. However, when you have a lack of time on search of synonymic phrases and work online, you need extra help to do this.
To cheat a plagiarism checker is not easy, but possible. For this purpose, you can use some of the following online tools:
How to avoid plagiarism when writing a research paper
READ ALSO: What is Examination Malpractice?
Plagiarism may often occur when we see no other possible ways out to present the essential material.
Here are 5 effective tips on how to avoid plagiarism:
- Use quotes. Not every person is “the master” of words, who can paraphrase almost everything he reads. Do not afraid to quote the desired idea exactly as it is in the text. It is one of the best ways to express the required information and stay honest.
- Paraphrase. Be pretty simple. Do not try to copy somebody’s expressions or terminology. Write the given information in your own words.
- Use a plagiarism checker. Even if the work you have done seems to be perfect, you should check it for plagiarism once more.
- Summarize. To obtain better results, always use more than one source of information. Make your idea a pure essence made of reliable studies.
- Do not use “cut and paste” functions without citation and quotes. Otherwise, your paper will not be accepted. Moreover, some institutions can even expel a student for such action.
Make the first step, and you will see that your own thoughts can be more interesting than fully “quoted” ones!
READ ALSO: How to write a school project