- Nigerian singer and lawyer, Folarin Falana better known as Falz has sued NBC
- This is coming after the commission banned his song titled 'This is Nigeria'
Nigerian top rapper Falz The Bahd Guy has sued the National Broadcasting Commission (NBC) for banning his song, This is Nigeria.
Recall that Falz had hinted in an interview granted to Legit.ng in August that he would write to the NBC to seek a justification for the ban and if necessary, serve them a suit which he has now gone ahead with.
Watch the interview below:
The court documents as gathered were filed through Falz’s lawyers, Adepetun Caxton-Martins Agbor & Segun (ACAS-Law), on November, 6, 2018, three months after the NBC sent a letter to JODAJ Global Communications Limited in Jos sanctioning them for playing Falz’s song, 'This is Nigeria'and banning the song from being played on radio, along with other songs.
In the letter sent to JODAJ Global Communications Limited, NBC stated that the reason for banning This is Nigeria is that the lyrics are vulgar and in contravention of the NBC Code.
The singer, who is also a lawyer, has taken steps in engaging his lawyers, ACAS-Law, to institute an action against the NBC challenging the ban.
The originating summons reveals that Falz is seeking, among other things, for:
1. A declaration that the Defendant’s prohibition of the Plaintiff’s song titled 'This is Nigeria' from being aired by the Nigerian media outfits on the pretext that same is laced with vulgar lyrics is in flagrant breach of the Plaintiff’s right to the freedom of thought, conscience and expression as guaranteed under Sections 38 and 39 of the Constitution of the Federal Republic of Nigeria, 1999 (as amended) and to that extent, such prohibition is unconstitutional, null and void.
2. An Order of this honourable court setting aside and/or vacating the decision of the Defendant as contained in the letter dated 6th August 2018 and lifting the ban or proscription of the use of the Plaintiff’s song titled, 'This Is Nigeria' by any and all Nigerian media outfit/organizations.
3. The sum of N100,000,000 (One Hundred Million Naira to the Plaintiff on the footing of aggravated and exemplary damages for the wrongful and unconstitutional acts of the Defendant.
PAY ATTENTION: Get the Latest Nigerian News on Legit.ng News App
Falz's banned song This is Nigeria was originally performed by American rapper and actor Childish Gambino whose version is titled This is America.
Falz tackled corruption in government and churches, SARS brutality, yahoo boys and herdsmen killings in his own video.
NAIJ.com (naija.ng) -> Legit.ng We keep evolving to serve our readers better
Falz - This Is Nigeria: 9 Hidden Messages | Legit.ng TV