Nigerian news All categories All tags
Herdsmen in Benue destroyed over 50 public primary schools - SUBEB executive chairman

Herdsmen in Benue destroyed over 50 public primary schools - SUBEB executive chairman

- The herdsmen crisis in Benue state have reportedly left over 50 schools in the state destroyed

- This was disclosed by the executive chairman of Benue State Universal Basic Education Board, Dr Philip Tachin

- He also says the herdsmen crisis in the state forced over 20,000 pupils out of school

Herdsmen in Benue reportedly destroyed over 50 public schools in the state in 2018, the executive chairman of Benue State Universal Basic Education Board (SUBEB), Dr Philip Tachin says.

According to Tachin, over 20,000 pupils were also forced out of school by the herdsmen attacks. He said 16,000 of these pupils were taking refuge in the internally displaced persons camps in the state, Vanguard reports.

Legit.ng gathers that made the disclosure in Makurdi, the state capital. He called on the federal government to assist the state government in overcoming the burden the development has placed on the latter.

READ ALSO: NAIJ.com upgrades to Legit.ng: a letter from our Editor-in-Chief Bayo Olupohunda

He said: “The development has obviously distorted the education of the affected children and it is indeed a sad development for our primary educational system.

“That is the price our children are paying for the herdsmen attacks which have left over 50 public primary schools in ruins and our children displaced.

“We will no doubt require the intervention of the federal government to rebuild the destroyed structures if our children must go back early to school in a convenient learning environment.

“And as it stands today, the scope of work required to get the destroyed schools running again is beyond the state government, hence we appeal to the federal government to urgently intervene to save our primary school system.”

PAY ATTENTION: Install our latest app for Android, read best news on Nigeria’s #1 news app

Meanwhile, Legit.ng previously reported that Major General Adeyemi Yekini, the theatre commander of the military unit known as ‘Operation Whirl Stroke’ (OPWS), revealed that troops were placed on red alert in an effort to subdue any inkling of attack on locals throughout Benue state and neighbouring towns.

Briefing newsmen on Thursday, September 6, Yekini disclosed that troops of the OPWS had intensified patrols within and around the state as far as Nasarawa border to forestall killings by criminals.

NAIJ.com (naija.ng) -> Legit.ng We have updated to serve you better

Herdsmen attacks: Benue's Attorney-General explains anti-grazing law | Legit.ng TV

Source: Legit.ng

Mailfire view pixel