- National president of the ASUU, Abiodun Ogunyemi, has spoken about the union's ongoing industrial action
- The ASSU on Sunday, November 4, announced the commencement of its indefinite strike
- The union accused the federal government of inability to respond to their demands
National president of the Academic Staff Union of Universities (ASUU), Abiodun Ogunyemi, declared that the union will not call off the ongoing industrial action until the federal government yields to its demands.
The union accused the federal government of not implementing of the 2013 Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) signed with it.
Ogunyemi who this disclosed this in an interview with Nigerian Tribune said the government only released N200 billion to the union between 2013 and 2017. He added that the ASUU is expecting the of balance of N1.1 trillion from the authority.
READ ALSO: Adeleke is alive - Campaign Organisation
According to him, ''The N200 billion is not an issue at all. The government ought to have released that money latest by October last year and the amount served as a mark of commitment towards the implementation of the 2013 Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) signed with ASUU in that year.
''In that MoU, government agreed to massively inject funds into the public university system in the country. This is as a way of re-vitalising the system. That is why we called that fund, which is a total sum of N1.3 trillion, a re-vitalisation fund. Between 2013 and 2017, government released only N200 billion, leaving out N1.1 trillion.
''So, when ASUU engaged them last year and we told them that they had abandoned the agreement, they said no. And that to show that they had not abanadoned it, they would release N20 billion immediately while looking into a way of mobilising fund for the balance.
''That was the N20 billion they were making noise about that they released many months after. So towards raising the N1.1 trillion, government raised a seven-man team and they worked for about two months or submitted their report.
''But up till now, government has kept the report in the cooler. In October last year, if government had released N20 billion, we expect them to release a stretch of N220 billion on yearly basis and will do that for five years.''
Meanwhile, Legit.ng had reported that the ASUU on Sunday, November 4, announced that it had begun an indefinite strike action following the inability of the federal government to respond to their demands.
ASUU said its strike would be total as all federal and state varsities would join the strike. Punch reports that the union accused the federal government of not implementing the Memorandum of Action signed with it.
Speaking after its National Executive Council meeting held at the Federal University of Technology, Akure, Ondo state on Sunday night, the national president of ASUU, Biodun Ogunyemi, said they have waited patiently for the federal government to act, all to no avail.
NAIJ.com (naija.ng) -> Legit.ng We keep evolving to serve our readers better.
Parents advice government over ASUU strike | Legit.ng TV: