- The murder of Jamal Khashoggi, a journalist, seems to be bringing a series of consequences for Saudi Arabia
- The US said that it is taking appropriate actions against the Arab nation
- Some of the actions entail revoking visas and entering visa lookouts
Secretary of state Mike Pompeo on Tuesday, October 23, said that the United Stated (US) is "taking appropriate actions" against Saudi Arabia in reaction to the killing of the deceased journalist, Jamal Khashoggi.
Those actions include revoking visas and entering visa lookouts, Pompeo said, as well as working with the Treasury Department to consider slapping Magnitsky sanctions on those involved in the dissident journalist's slaying, CNBC reports.
Pompeo told newmen at the State Department: "These penalties will not be the last word on this matter from the United States. We will continue to explore additional measures to hold those responsible accountable."
A bipartisan group of senators sent a letter to President Donald Trump earlier in October 2018, triggering an investigation through the Global Magnitsky Human Rights Accountability Act into Khashoggi's disappearance at the time.
The secretary added: "We are making very clear that the United States does not tolerate this kind of ruthless action to silence Khashoggi, a journalist, with violence. We continue to maintain a strong partnership with the kingdom of Saudi Arabia."
Pompeo, said that some of the suspects responsible for Khashoggi's murder are in Saudi intelligence services, the royal court and the foreign ministry, among other agencies.
Twenty-one Saudi suspects in total will either have their visas revoked or will be made ineligible for US visas, according to State Department spokeswoman Heather Nauert.
Pompeo's statements sharp contrast to his comments after a trip to Saudi Arabia and Turkey recently.
Pompeo said at that time that he advised the president during a post-trip briefing to give the Saudis a "few more days to complete" their investigation into Khashoggi's disappearance. The kingdom had insisted that Khashoggi left the Istanbul consulate shortly after he arrived.
Saudi's foreign minister Adel al-Jubeir admitted that Khashoggi had indeed been killed inside the consulate on October 2, saying it was a "tremendous mistake" but denying that crown prince Mohammed bin Salman had ordered it.
Both Pompeo and Trump have taken care to note the valuable and strong alliance between the US and Saudi Arabia. Trump has frequently referred to a $110 billion arms deal with the oil-rich nation, a sum which the Washington Post's Fact Checker termed false.
Trump stressed the partnership between the two nations in the oval office just prior to Pompeo's comments on Tuesday, even after saying that the "cover-up" by the Saudis "was one of the worst in the history of cover-ups."
The G-7 nations, including the US, condemned the slaying "in the strongest possible terms" earlier that day, saying in a statement that "Saudi Arabia must put in place measures to ensure something like this can never happen again."
Turkish officials have told news outlets that they possess audio evidence proving Khashoggi was tortured and killed. They also allege that Khashoggi's body was dismembered with a bone saw and removed from the consulate.
Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdogan said that evidence corroborated the claims that Khashoggi was the victim of a "vicious, violent murder," according to a translation of his remarks.
Earlier, Legit.ng reported that the remains of the Khashoggi was rumoured to have been found, with sources stating that the late journalist's face was smashed and his body cut into pieces.
Legit.ng gathered that the body of the late veteran journalist whose disappearance and gruesome murder that had generated ripples of controversy across the media and among the states involved, was reportedly found in the garden of the Saudi consul general's home.
Buhari Warplanes Cost Nigeria 496 Million US Dollars | Legit TV