EFCC obtains court order to detain Fayose for 2 weeks

EFCC obtains court order to detain Fayose for 2 weeks

- The EFCC has obtained a warrant to detain former governor Fayose for two weeks

- The order was granted by an FCT high court

- It was gathered that the governor could spend longer than two weeks with the EFCC as the order is subject to renewal

The Economic and Financial Crimes Commission (EFCC) on Wednesday, October 17, said it has obtained a two-weeks remand order to keep the past governor of Ekiti state, Ayodele Fayose, in custody.

Punch reports that the EFCC obtained the order from a Federal Capital Territory high court. It was also gathered that the order is subject to renewal which means that the governor could spend longer than two weeks if the need arises.

Sources at the commission said the former governor could also be released before the expiration of the said order.

READ ALSO: Just in: APC panel takes major decision on Shehu Sani's Senatorial candidature

“We have obtained a court order to hold Fayose for at least two weeks pending investigation. He could be released earlier or later than two weeks depending on the outcome of investigation," a source said.

Another source also said aside the already known allegation of receiving N1.3 billion from the office of the national security adviser through Musiliu Obanikoro, a former minister of state for defence, Fayose had other allegations against him.

The source said Fayose was also being probed for allegedly receiving kickbacks from government contractors through his aide, Abiodun Agbele, who is currently standing trial for fraud.

READ ALSO: We have no preferred candidate for Nigeria's 2019 election - US government assures

“We have many cases against Fayose being handled by three different teams. We cannot just arraign him immediately. We want to do a thorough job before taking him to court," the source added.

Meanwhile, Legit.ng previously reported that the EFCC had asked Fayose to return N1.3 billion he allegedly received from a former national security adviser, Sambo Dasuki.

The former governor was asked to write a statement to explain details of how he spent the N1.3 billion allegedly received from Dasuki.

PAY ATTENTION: Read the news on Nigeria’s #1 new app

A source at the EFCC said the former governor is however, denying the receipt of any money from Dasuki through Obanikoro.

Oby Ezekwesili's Presidential Ambition In 2019 on Legit.ng TV

Source: Legit

Mailfire view pixel