Former president Olusegun Obasanjo on Thursday, October 11, pledged to support his former running mate, Atiku Abubakar’s presidential bid as the candidate of the Peoples Democratic Party (PDP) ahead of 2019 general elections.
Legit.ng reports that Obasanjo declared his support for Atiku while addressing newsmen after a closed-door meeting with Atiku, some prominent members of PDP and other prominent Nigerians.
Here are the 20 things the former president said in his speech on the visit of Atiku Abubakar:
1. Let me start by congratulating president-to-be, Atiku Abubakar, for his success at the recent PDP primary and I took note of his gracious remarks in his acceptance speech that it all started here.
2. Yes, when it started, it was meant for Atiku to succeed Obasanjo. In the presence of these distinguished leaders of goodwill today, let me say it openly that we have reviewed what went wrong on the side of Atiku.
3. And in all honesty, my former vice president has re-discovered and re-positioned himself.
4. As I have repeatedly said, it is not so much what you did against me that was the issue but what you did against the party, the government and the country.
5. I took the stand I had taken based on the character and attributes you exhibited in the position you found yourself. I strongly believe that I was right. It was in the overall interest of everyone and everything to take such a position.
6. From what transpired in the last couple of hours or so, you have shown remorse; you have asked for forgiveness and you have indicated that you have learnt some good lessons and you will mend fences and make amends as necessary and as desirable.
7. Whenever or wherever you might have offended me, as a Christian who asks for God’s forgiveness of my sins and inadequacies on daily basis, I forgive and I sincerely advise you to learn from the past and do what is right and it will be well with you.
8. Obviously, you have mended fences with the party and fully reconciled with the party. That’s why today, you are the presidential candidate of the party.
9. In addition to appreciating all that the party has done for you, may I advise you to work together with all those who contested for the party’s flag with you as a team for your campaign.
10. There are still areas, nationally and internationally, where you have to mend fences and make amends.
11. You will know how to handle what is already out and what may yet be put out by the opposition.
12. But, I am convinced that if you continue with the attitude that brought you here with these distinguished leaders of goodwill, with remorse and contrite heart, the rest of the coast within and outside the country can be cleared.
13. And if there is anything I can do and you want me to do in that respect, I will do.
14. I am sure with the right attitude for change where necessary, and by putting lessons learned by you to work, you will get the understanding, cooperation, support and mandate – all at the national level.
15. With Nigerians voting for you, it will mean that you secure their forgiveness and regain their confidence. It will be with the hope or assurance of a Paul on the road to Damascus conversion. After all, change and conversion are of man. I believe that with a contrite heart, change is possible in everybody’s life and situation.
16. For me, relatively and of all the aspirants in the PDP, you have the widest and greatest exposure, experience, outreach and possibly the best machinery and preparation for seeing the tough and likely dirty campaign ahead through.
17. Please uphold truth, integrity, principles, morality and fight corruption, crimes and insurgency. The fundamental law of the land, our constitution must be scrupulously defended.
18. I make one demand and one demand on you today, I need you to say before God and man that you will always remain irrevocably committed to upholding ALL the provisions of the Constitution of the federal republic of Nigeria and the whole country will remain your single indivisible constituency.
19. Constitutionalism, popular participation and inclusiveness are pre-conditions for reversing the deficits of the past three and half years. They will ensure abiding faith in our indivisibility, oneness and faith in the survival of all against none.
PAY ATTENTION: Read the news on Nigeria’s #1 news app
20. The fundamentals for our development, economic growth and progress are hard and soft infrastructure. Remember to always give adequate places in your administration to our youth and women.
Meanwhile, Legit.ng had previously reported that the Peoples Democratic Party (PDP) presidential candidate Atiku Abubakar got the nod of his former boss, Chief Olusegun Obasanjo, on Thursday, October 11, as he seeks to be Nigeria's president in 2019. Atiku arrived Obasanjo’s home at about 1:12 p.m Thursday afternoon, accompanied by PDP national chairman, Prince Uche Secondus, and the director general of the Atiku Campaign Organisation, Otunba Gbenga Daniel
Atiku's acceptance speech after being declared PDP presidential flag bearer | - on Legit.ng TV