Nigerian news All categories All tags
Toyota recalls more than 2.4 million hybrid cars over crash fault

Toyota recalls more than 2.4 million hybrid cars over crash fault

- Toyota has announced a recall of over 2.4 million hybrid cars

- The recall became necessary as the automobile giant discovered a crash fault in the cars

Japanese car giant Toyota announced on Friday, October 5, that it is recalling more than 2.4 million hybrid cars over a fault that could cause crashes.

This is reportedly coming barely a month after another recall affecting hybrids.

The automobile firm in September said it was recalling more than one million hybrid cars globally after uncovering a technical problem that could cause fires.

READ ALSO: We can no longer belong to a party of injustice - Ex IYC president, other aspirants dump PDP over violence during primaries

Legit.ng gathers that the latest recall affects several models of Toyota’s Prius and its Auris hybrid vehicles produced between October 2008 and November 2014, with more than a million of the affected cars in Japan.

Another 830,000 are reportedly in North America, 290,000 in Europe, 3,000 in China, and the rest in other parts of the world.

In a statement available on the company’s website, Toyota said the cars involved in the recall had already been involved in previous recalls in 2014 and 2015, but “the remedy conducted then did not anticipate the new condition identified in this recall.”

The problem identified arises when the cars fail to enter “failsafe driving mode as intended.”

“If this occurs, the vehicle could lose power and stall. While power steering and braking would remain operational, a vehicle stall while driving at higher speeds could increase the risk of a crash,” Toyota said.

Japan’s transportation ministry said Toyota had reported three malfunctions locally related to the issue, but no accidents.

Toyota has sold more than 10 million hybrid gasoline-electric vehicles globally, including the Prius, since 1997.

PAY ATTENTION: Read the news on Nigeria’s #1 new app

Meanwhile, Legit.ng had previously reported that the Federal Road Safety Corps (FRSC) Sango-Ota Unit, on Saturday, August 11, announced that two persons died while four others sustained various degrees of injuries in a multiple accident at Sango-Ota toll-gate.

Sango-Ota FRSC’s unit commander, Adekunle Oguntoyinbo, who confirmed the accident in an interview with News Agency of Nigeria (NAN) in Ota, said the accident occurred around 4.45 am. Oguntoyinbo stated that a Mack Truck with registration number GGE 80 XJ that was travelling from Abeokuta to Lagos had a brake failure due to speeding, and rammed into five other vehicles.

My life after the plane crash – Nigerian plane crash survivor Kechi Okwuchi speaks to Legit.ng TV

Subscribe to watch new videos

Source: Legit.ng

Mailfire view pixel