- The governors of states in Nigeria reportedly say they cannot be blackmailed into agreeing to the new minimum wage
- The committee set up by the governors is yet to submit its report concerning the issue
- The governors say they can only accept a deal after a proper assessment of their capacity to pay the new wage
The governors of the 36 states of the federation have reportedly said they will not fall for any blackmail or attempt to stampede them into reaching an agreement on the new minimum wage currently threatening peaceful industrial relations in Nigeria.
The statement by the governors came at a period the Nigeria Labour Congress (NLC) and its affiliate unions announced commencement of a nationwide industrial action starting from midnight on Wednesday, September 26 to protest the delay in fixing a new minimum wage for public servants.
This Day reports that the governors’ position was made known just as the Joint Tax Board (JTB) confirmed that most of the states have witnessed enhanced revenue generation.
Under the umbrella of the Nigerian Governors Forum (NGF), they said they can only accept a deal after proper assessment of their capacity to pay any increase in wage bill.
It was learnt that the committee set up by the governors to look into the issue has not completed its assignment.
“The governors are waiting for the committee’s report to enable them make a statement. I think the committee would have submitted its report last week but that didn’t happen.
PAY ATTENTION: Read the news on Nigeria’s #1 new app
“What the states are saying is that they may not be able to accept a flat rate figure for minimum wage since most of them are currently facing economic challenges,” the report quoted a source as saying.
Legit.ng earlier reported that the Trade Union Congress on Tuesday insisted organised labour would commence strike from early hours of Thursday, September 27, following the federal government’s failure to honour its ultimatum on the new minimum wage.
A statement signed by the secretary-general of the union, Musa-Lawal Ozigi, in Abuja stated that the decision to embark on strike was sequel to the resolve of the Central Working Committee of TUC on September 24.
I have evidence that they added to APC’s votes| Legit.ng TV