- Salah's strike against Everton in the EPL emerged best goal at the FIFA awards
- The Egypt international beat Cristiano Ronaldo and Gareth Bale's goal
- The award generated lots of reactions from supporters on social media
Barely 24 hours after The Best FIFA Awards and football fans are still trying to make sense of some of what can arguably be named the most controversial award ceremony in recent times.
For one thing, both Cristiano Ronaldo and Lionel Messi – the two footballing maestros who have dominated the awards for the last decade, were conspicuously absent from the event.
It got even awkward when the awards host and celebrated actor Idris Elba decided to rock waist coat rigged with images of none other than England manager Gareth Southgate.
Despite Messi and Ronaldo’s absence, few could argue with the votes that saw Real Madrid midfielder Luka Modric win the Men’s Best Player Award, coming ahead of Ronaldo and Liverpool forward Mohammed Salah.
However, when it came to the Puskas award, many were left scratching their heads as the award went to Mo Salah’s goal against Everton in the Merseyside derby.
The FIFA Puskas Award rewards the best goal scored from July 3, 2017 to July 15, 2018 and it is fair to say there have been a number of stunners along the way which could have easily beaten the Egyptian to the award.
Perhaps Salah’s goal was given as a show of respect for his prolific 2017/2018 season that saw him rack up 44 goals in all competitions – the same number as Cristiano Ronaldo and only one behind Lionel Messi.
The Egyptian has surely scored more stunning goals that his strike versus Everton at Anfield.
Below are six magnificent more credit worthy goals scored by Salah
1. Goal vs Roma (UEFA Champions League Semi final)
2. Goal vs Tottenham Hotspur (English Premier League)
3. Solo effort vs Watford (English Premier League)
4. Salah goal vs Arsenal
5. Swift counter-attacking goal vs Man City (UEFA Champions League)
6. Salah goal vs Manchester City (English Premier League)
Not only has Salah scored some stunning goals, he has also done it against some massive teams including Manchester City (twice), Roma in the Champions League and Arsenal.
Who is the better coach, Mourinho or Conte? - on Legit.ng TV