Nigerian news All categories All tags
Breaking: Protesting ex-militants block East/West road, call for sack of amnesty boss Dokubo

Breaking: Protesting ex-militants block East/West road, call for sack of amnesty boss Dokubo

- Former militants have called for the sack of Amnesty coordinator, Charles Dokubo

- The protesting ex-militants barricaded the popular East/West road in Bayelsa over non-payment of their stipends

- It was later learnt that a detachment of the soldiers, police and other security agencies moved to the scene to persuade the protesters to remove the barricades for a free flow of traffic

Ex-militants on Monday, September 17, took to the streets in Bayelsa to protest against the coordinator of the Presidential Amnesty Programme (PAP), Charles Dokubo, over the non-payment of their monthly stipend.

Legit.ng regional reporter in Port Harcourt, Tony Ihunwo, reports that motorists had herculean tasks passing through the ever busy East/West road as vehicular movement was disrupted for hours as aggrieved ex-militants from Bayelsa and Delta states barricaded the Mbiama-Yenagoa axis of the road protesting against Dokubo over alleged corrupt practices.

READ ALSO: We will vote against your choice if you endorse Ambode for second term - APC leaders allegedly threaten Tinubu

The ex-agitators were seen at the Mbiama-Yenagoa junction with placards bearing different inscriptions such as: “Buhari, sack Prof Dokubo, Dokubo is corrupt", Amnesty should not be used for Politics."

As I speak to you I am trapped at Mbiama/Yenagoa junction", one of the stranded travelers said.

It was later learnt that a detachment of the soldiers, police and other security agencies were moved to the scene to persuade the protesters to remove the barricades for a free flow of traffic.

Legit.ng recalls that ex-militant leaders on had on Friday, September 14, faulted a plan by some aggrieved beneficiaries of the Presidential Amnesty Programme (PAP) to protest against the scheme’s coordinator, Charles Dokubo, over alleged corrupt practices.

The Ex-militant leaders under the umbrella of Environmental Rights Advocates Organisation of Niger Delta (ERAOND) had cautioned the planned protest as unnecessary, misplaced, wicked and selfish.

In a statement signed by Chief Reuben Wilson, Godgift Ayabowei, Ezikiel Akpasibowei and Alex Watchman, the leaders called on the aggrieved persons to stop the plan.

The statement said: “It is unfair and unhealthy for us to be protesting against our own. We should learn to be our brothers’ keeper. We are calling on those involved to cancel the protest so as not to rubbish the good work of the Amnesty Office.

“The Amnesty office under Prof. CharlesDokubo has been attending promptly to payment of stipends. We have not seen what he has done wrong to deserve the plan embarrassment. He has shown that he has a listening ear to all that is affecting the amnesty beneficiaries.”

The leaders called on the aggrieved beneficiaries not to allow themselves to be used for politics within and outside the amnesty office.

At the time of filing this report, soldiers and other security agencies were at the spot persuading the protesters to allow peace reign and allow travelers their rights to freedom of movement to their respective destinations.

PAY ATTENTION: Read the news on Nigeria’s #1 news app

Meanwhile, Legit.ng had previously reported that for hours on Monday, July 16, former militants in Ondo state blocked the office of Governor Rotimi Akeredolu with staff running for safety. Some of the government officials had to scale the fence as fear pervaded the scene.

Lagos Police Commissioner Parades Suspected Criminals (Nigeria News) | - on Legit.ng TV

Subscribe to watch new videos

Source: Legit.ng

Mailfire view pixel