Dele Momodu admits spreading fake news on frozen accounts of Davido and family

Dele Momodu admits spreading fake news on frozen accounts of Davido and family

- Nigerian journalist and publisher, Dele Momodu, has withdrawn his statement alleging EFCC froze the accounts of the Adeleke family

- The media entrepreneur had earlier shared a post on social media, announcing his disappointment that such measures will be taken against the family

- Recently, he admitted to being misled by his sources, apologising for spreading what was apparently a fake news

On September 15, Nigerian internet was on fire, following the claim that anti-graft agency Economic and Financial Crimes Commission (EFCC) had frozen the accounts of Osun state governorship aspirant, Ademola Adeleke, and that of some his family members including superstar, Davido.

Nigerian journalist and publisher, Dele Momodu, aided the spread of the news when he shared a post on his social media page, announcing his disappointment that such measures will be taken against the family to confuse their political ambition.

The Peoples Democratic Party (PDP) also released a statement asking for the said accounts to be unfrozen. Legit.ng earlier reported how the political party described the freezing of the accounts as oppressive, tyrannical, provocative and a direct recipe for crisis.

READ ALSO: Beautiful photos from Sharon Oyakhilome’s bridal shower

Many social media users also reacted to the news, with most condemning the act and terming it callousness. EFCC, however, put out a statement denying it. The anti-graft agency announced on its official Twitter handle, that at no time, did it freeze any accounts belonging to the Adelekes and for no reason.

Here's their post below:

Few minutes after EFCC revealed its position on the account freezing brouhaha, Momodu admitted to passing the wrong information. The journalist revealed that his sources had confirmed it and even mentioned the name of the Nigerian bank in which the accounts were allegedly frozen, though, it turned out false.

He shared a post on Twitter withdrawing his statement as well as tendered an apology for the mistake.

Recall that Osun state was on lock down on September 15, as Davido joined his uncle in campaign. Thousands of the state's residence trooped out to see the superstar and show their love for him which many are now interpreting as love for his uncle.

Meanwhile, Legit.ng had reported that the Independent National Electoral Commission (INEC) on Friday, September 14, in Abuja, said it would deploy 16,000 staff for the conduct of Osun governorship election on September 22.

PAY ATTENTION: Read best news on Nigeria's #1 news app

Top Nigeria Corruption Scandals: Joshua Dariye, Olisa Metuh and Sambo Dasuki on Legit.ng TV:

Source: Legit.ng

Mailfire view pixel