What is bitter leaf? Many people know that this plant is good for cooking but only a few people can connect bitter leaf and high blood pressure. In fact, there’s a direct connection as bitter leaf proves to be an effective natural remedy for cardiovascular diseases.
Bitter leaf and high blood pressure
The only thing that connects them is the ability of bitter leaf to fight cardiovascular diseases. Through the recent decades, people have turned to natural remedies more.
READ ALSO: Benefits of drinking bitter leaf water
What’s the secret? Why does it work? The key is in the high amount of potassium the plant contains. To understand the effect of the potassium, you need to understand clearly what high blood pressure is and what can cause it.
The blood pressure is the force, with which blood presses into the vessel walls, being pushed by the heart. When the vessels are clean and elastic and the blood is not to thin and not too thick, even big amounts of blood can be pushed through the them easily. Neither the heart nor the vessels are harmed.
In case the vessels are clogged or the blood is too thick or there’s excess of fluid in the body, it becomes tougher for the heart to push the blood.
That’s why it’s necessary to control blood pressure level, eat less salt and fat, do physical exercises and avoid obesity. However, in case there’s something wrong in other systems of the body and the excess of salt is not withdrawn properly, there will be a big imbalance. At this moment, the potassium in bitter leaf can help a lot. All our cells function well when there’s a proper balance between potassium and sodium.
This is how bitter leaf can help the body fight high blood pressure. Can it help in other cases, when the increase of blood pressure is caused by other things like stress, vessel spasms, and so on? It’s potentially effective for many cases with high blood pressure. The alkaloids the plant contains in its leaves is able to treat stress effectively and thus reduce the pressure significantly.
Of course, you should understand that if you are suffering from high blood pressure that reaches dangerous levels and you need a remedy that can work as emergency in a critical situation, bitter leaf is not what you should use, you should consult your doctor and go to the hospital for regular checkups.
At the same time, if you choose an herbal treatment, you need to realize that it will last longer because the effect of such remedies becomes visible only in several weeks. However, it will also last for a longer time than the effect of synthetic medical means.
How can I cure high pressure with bitter leaf?
READ ALSO: Can bitter leaf abort pregnancy?
If you are strongly into the treatment with the help of bitter leaf, here’s a recipe that may work for you:
- Take one handful of fresh bitter leaves (they need to be fresh; otherwise, there will be no effect)
- Take three cups of clean water
It’s possible to add some basil to the bitter leaves. It will increase the positive effect of the bitter leaf mixture because it’s able to regulate the level of cholesterol and glucose in your blood. So, when you’ve chosen the content of the plant part of the remedy, you need to set the water boiling and add the leaves exactly when it’s boiling. The high temperature will make sure that your liver will not be damaged by the mixture.
When you’ve cooked the mixture, don’t even think of drinking it straight away. You need to wash away the very first bitter water layer; otherwise, the acids it contains in galore will cause a serious damage to your health.
Sometimes, it’s also recommended to add milk to bitter water. It’s the matter of your taste because some people can’t stand the taste of the pure mixture and others can’t force themselves to drink the bitter milk. However, the treatment course is not so long to fail to stand the taste. You only need to have two cups of the mixture two times a week for only two weeks.
Are there any bitter leaf side effects to worry about?
Just as anything else, bitter leaves can be abused by people who don’t know about the way they work. Sometimes, patients think that the more of the remedy they can consume at a time, the better their health will be. It’s a serious delusion that can cause a heap of negative effects. Bitter leaves are no exception. When taken in too big quantities, they can cause serious problems with kidneys.
Besides that, over use of bitter leaves can imbalance the level of glucose in your blood, cause you heart problems, and the sense of a strong fatigue that even leads to fainting. These side effects are especially dangerous for pregnant women. This is why if you are expecting a baby, consult your doctor before you start using bitter leaves to cure the high blood pressure.
Of course, you can eat as much of them as you wish if you cook them as usual in your regular meals. When prepared as food, these leaves have no side effects and no dangerous influence on the body. All the powerful chemical compounds in them are easily split by the effect of high temperature.
What are general health benefits of bitter leaf?
Apart from treating high blood pressure, fresh bitter leaves can bring you relief in many other health disorders.
- Bitter leaves relieves stomachaches. If you are in terrible stomach pains, everything you need to do is pluck a fresh gentle stem of the plant and chew it like a toothpick. The bitter juice will get into your stomach and relieve the pains in several minutes. The hardest thing here may be to swallow the bitter juice because some people find it unbearable
Note: even if the pain is gone, you need to turn to a doctor and find out what caused it. Even if the symptom is gone, the problem may still be inside.
- Bitter leaves can help you prevent and fight prostate cancer. The inflammation and tumors of prostate are a common problem of men above forty. Painful urination is a common symptom. In case you suffer from such a trouble, try squeezing fresh leaves into water and then drink four glasses during the day. Urination will become very frequent but the pain will reduce significantly
- Freshly-squeezed bitter leaves (into water) can be help against pneumonia. Just take one glass of such water (preheat for a better effect) three times a day and treat the pneumonia effectively. Don’t stop drinking the water even when the symptoms are gone. You need to continue the treatment for a month
- Two glasses of the bitter leaf juice mixed with water can help you treat insomnia. Just take the solution before going to bed and you will finally fight the exhausting disorder that ruins the nerve system and life of its sufferers
- Taking bitter leaf remedies can be very effective if you are a woman and if you are fighting infertility. Your ovaries will work like a Swiss watch if you give enough attention to bitter leaves. There’s data showing that conception happens quite soon after a woman starts to consume more bitter leaf.
Now you see – the effect of bitter leaves is wide and powerful. If you are experiencing problems with your health, give these remedy a try and you will never regret!
READ ALSO: Effect of bitter leaf on fertility