On this day, September 13, 1996, the world lost Tupac Shakur, a great and talented rapper, and he is still being celebrated till date. He has no doubt influenced and served as an inspiration to many rappers today and his songs still arouse emotions as well as debates. He was known for his smooth bars and punch lines.
Though many people knew him mostly for being a rapper, he was also an actor.
Legit.ng has gathered some interesting things you need to know about the rapper, even though he has been gone for 22 years.
1. His initial name was Lesane Parish Crooks but his name was later changed to Tupac Amaru Shakur when he was just three-years-old. He was newly named after a South American revolutionary, Tupac Amaru Shakur. Perhaps, this was influenced by his mother, Afeni Shakur, who was an active member of the Black Panther Party, and she was in prison while she was five months pregnant with Tupac.
2. Tupac who went to prison at a time was influenced by the works of Nicollo Maciavelli, an Italian diplomat and philosopher. He was mostly influenced by his work, the Prince. The diplomat probably was the reason why Tupac also changed his stage name to Makavelli.
3. Under his new stage name, Makavelli, the rapper used three days to write and record, and four days to mix his album titled Don Killuminati: The 7 day theory in 7 days.
4. Unknown to many people, Tupac was very good friends with actress, Jada Pinkett Smith, and they were also classmates in high school.
5. Tupac also dated pop star, Madonna. The diva revealed that she would have loved to have his child while they were together.
6. Shakur, who was also an actor, had to take an HIV test before acting a love scene with Janet Jackson in the movie, Poetic Justice.
7. According to the late Maya Angelou, a poet and civil rights activist, Tupac wept after she spoke with him during the set of the movie Poetic Justice.
8. After Tupac’s death, he was cremated, and members of the Outlawz, a group he created after his release from prison in late 1995, took some of his ashes, mixed it with weed and smoked it.
9. Tupac and Biggie, another talented but late rapper, were actually friends before the east coast and west coast beef escalated.
Tupac's death was rather unfortunate and his fans all over the world still celebrate him.
Legit.ng earlier reported facts about the life and times of Tupac. One thing is sure, he is a personality that would be hard to forget.
Rapper Chinko Ekun Interview: Nigerians are Hypocrites When it Comes to Music | Legit.ng TV