- NEMA has advised the people of Kogi state to take precautionary measures against flood disaster
- This was said by the Vincent Owan, NEMA's director of planning and research department
- Vincent advised people living at water zone to evacuate so as to avert a looming danger
National Emergency Management Agency (NEMA) has expressed fear that the impending flood that deluged Kogi state in 2012 may be a tip of an iceberg compared to the one the state may experience soon if necessary evacuation arrangement is not taken by the residents.
This caution as seen in The Guardian newspaper was expressed by the director of planning, research and forecasting department of the agency, Vincent Owan, in Kogi state on Sunday, September 9, during a visit.
Legit.ng gathers that Kogi state witnessed a first of its kind flood disaster when the River Niger overflowed its boundary leading to many of hundreds of residents in Lokoja displaced and stranded for several days.
Vincent said: "My first impression is that the flood situation is quite devastating for the fact that all the indices that manifested in the 2012 flood disaster are here, except for the release of water from the Lagdo Dam."
“Most of victims of flood today have been relocated to higher grounds, particularly the IDP hostels at the flood housing estate. We are going collaborate extensively with the Kogi state government to ensure that displaced persons are well catered for."
Vincent also gave the assurance that he has communicated the development to the director-general of the agency and all efforts will be put in place to avert the looming disaster.
In his contribution, the executive secretary of the state's emergency management agency, Alhasan Ayegba, observed that the river has risen above its normal level. He also noted that the 2012 flood incident rendered people homeless as over 45000 persons were condemned to various Internally displaced Persons (IDPs) camps in the state.
In his contribution, the commissioner for environment, Yahyah Sanusi, pleaded to Kogi people to quickly embrace all control and safety mechanisms.
He said: "We are appealing to people in the flood prone areas to move to higher grounds immediately because we don’t know when the water from the Lagdo Dam will be released. When it is released the situation may be worse than the 2012 experience."
PAY ATTENTION: Download our news app to enjoy latest news update
Meanwhile, Legit.ng previously reported that director-general of NEMA, Muhammed Sani-Sidi, said Nigeria lost N2.6tn to the 2012 flood disaster.
Sani-Sidi said this at the fourth global forum on disaster risk reduction in Geneva, Switzerland. He added that the disaster, which resulted in 363 deaths, affected seven million people, displaced 2.3 million others and damaged 597,476 houses.
Victims of Lekki Flood Rendered Homeless, Jobless Speak to Legit.ng TV