Nigerian news All categories All tags
We did not receive N50m logistics support from Jigawa government - INEC

We did not receive N50m logistics support from Jigawa government - INEC

- INEC has denied receiving any form of support/assistance from Jigawa state government

- It said there is no reason to lean on Jigawa state government as it has been adequately funded by the national office.

- The commission urged the general public to regard publication that it recieved N50 million from the state government as baseless, unfounded and not true

The Independent National Electoral Commission (INEC) has denied a newspaper report that it recently received N50 million from the government of Jigawa state for logistics.

Mahmud Isah, the resident electoral commissioner in the state, made the clarification in a statement in Dutse, on Tuesday, September 4.

Isah said that the commission had not received any form of support from the state government following the extension of the Continuous Voter Registration last month.

READ ALSO: If I lose PDP presidential ticket I won’t contest again - Makarfi

“The attention of the Independent Electoral Commission, Jigawa state has been drawn to a publication in Daily Trust of Tuesday, August 28, 2018 on page 4 captioned PVC: Jigawa supports INEC with N50m.

“The INEC Jigawa state office wishes to state in clear terms that it has not received any form of support/assistance from the state government during the extension period of the PVC/CVR exercise.

“The publication came to us as a surprise, as the commission since the commencement of the CVR in April 2017 to date, has been adequately funded by the national office. Hence, there is no reason why to lean on Jigawa state government or indeed any organisation for any form of logistic support,’’ Isah said.

He however stated that the state office of INEC holds the state government in high esteem as a major stakeholder in election matters. But, he disagreed with the comment of state deputy governor on the issue of extending logistic support to it as contained in the publication by Daily Trust Newspaper.

The REC, therefore, urged the general public to regard the publication as baseless, unfounded and not true.

“In furtherance to this position of the office, we are calling on all politicians in the state to desist from making unguarded statements capable of truncating our democracy. We also want to call on all media houses to always crosscheck their stories before going to press,” he added.

He said that INEC in the state remained resolute in its maintenance of transparency, credibility, fairness in all its electoral duties that will meet national and international standards.

“We will continue to maintain our neutrality at all times as an independent electoral umpire,” he emphasised.

PAY ATTENTION: Read the news on Nigeria’s #1 new app

Legit.ng previously reported that the office of the youth organising secretary of the All Progressives Congress (APC) in Lagos, on Saturday, September 2, pleaded with Nigerians and residents of the state against acts that could heat up the polity.

Aregbe Idris, the head of the office, also pleaded with the Independent National Electoral Commission (INEC) to extend the deadline for the voters registration exercise so that many citizens would be able to take part in the 2019 general elections.

Idris, who is also the convener of Our Lagos, Your Lagos initiative, expressed excitement at the way Nigerians are now showing interest in the country’s politicw by ensuring the collection of their Permanent Voters Card (PVC) ahead of the 2019.

Senator Kwankwaso Rabiu announces his Presidential Bid (Election 2019) | Legit.ng TV

Subscribe to watch new videos

Source: Legit.ng

Mailfire view pixel