Nigerian news All categories All tags
Ronaldo's agent Mendes blasts UEFA after awarding Modric UEFA best player award

Ronaldo's agent Mendes blasts UEFA after awarding Modric UEFA best player award

- Luka Modric is the new UEFA best player of the year

- The Croatian beat former teammate Cristiano Ronaldo and Mohamed Salah to the award

- Jorge Mendes slams the organisers for failing to award his client the prestigious award for the fourth time

Croatia and Real Madrid superstar Luka Modric has been named this year's UEFA player of the year.

The midfielder beat his former teammate Cristiano Ronaldo to win the prestigious award while Mohamed Salah finished third behind the former teammates.

After helping Los Blancos win their 13th UCL title in May, Modric went ahead to lead his country to their first ever World Cup final but lost 4-2 to France.

READ ALSO: Manchester City begin Carabao Cup defence against Oxford United as Liverpool host Chelsea

However, Ronaldo's agent, Jorge Mendes has rubbished UEFA's decision of awarding the Croatian as the best player - saying the decision was "ridiculous and shameful".

The football agent was quoted by Record saying his client deserved the title, which would have completed a hat-trick.

Mendes said: "Football is played on the field and that’s where Cristiano won. He scored 15 goals, carried Real Madrid on his back and conquered the Champions League again.

"It’s ridiculous, shameful. The winner is not in doubt, as Ronaldo is the best in his position."

Ronaldo and his Portuguese national team crashed out of Russia 2018 at the Round of 16 losing 2-1 to Uruguay.

The 33-year-old then joined Juventus from Real Madrid in a £99 million deal and the Italian side also felt CR7's performances last season warranted the award.

He was however not in attendance for the Champions League draw, where Modric picked up his award.

The vote was decided by 60 Champions League and Europa League coaches as well as 55 journalists from across Europe.

Juventus director Giuseppe Marotta said: "The no-show was a personal decision of Cristiano, which we want to respect.

"Our criticism concerns a deep bitterness for this decision, because the award refers to the Champions League and not to the World Cup and I believe that Cristiano Ronaldo has given the best emotions of the last edition and also fantastic goals.

PAY ATTENTION: Become a member of the leading sports Facebook group 'Naija Football Fan Zone'

"I take nothing away from the decision of journalists and coaches, but I would have voted for Cristiano Ronaldo and I say that as a football fan.

"His absence is a personal and private choice that has nothing to do with Juventus and must be respected.

"It would be nice for us to count some players among those who were given awards, but football is a team sport and we will face this Champions League with great determination."

Juventus were drawn against Ronaldo's former side Manchester United, Valencia and Young Boys for this season's competition.

Modric and his Real Madrid side face last season's semi-finalists Roma, CSKA Moscow and Viktoria Plzen.

Legit.ng previously reported that Real Madrid superstar Luka Modric was named the UEFA player of the year at a ceremony held in Monaco, France on Thursday evening, August 30.

The Croatia international defeated Juventus forward Cristiano Ronaldo and Liverpool star Mohamed Salah to win the UEFA award in Monaco.

Last season, Luka Modric was superb for Real Madrid helping them to win the 2017/18 Champions League title beating Liverpool in the final in Kiev.

Football Transfers That Shocked The World - Legit.ng TV

Source: Legit.ng

Mailfire view pixel