- Victor Moses is under pressure from Gernot Rohr and football chiefs to rescind plans to retire
- The 27-year-old Chelsea winger announced he would quit on August 15, 2018
- Moses played 37 matches and netted 12 times for Nigeria
Chelsea star Victor Moses is reportedly intense pressure from Super Eagles Franco-German coach Gernot Rohr and chieftains of Nigeria Football Federation to reverse his international retirement.
According to reports Moses’ surprise decision to quit the Super Eagles last week caught Rohr, caught many of his national teammates and fans unawares.
The 27-year-old, who also represented Nigeria at the 2014 FIFA World Cup in Brazil and Russia 2018, explained that his decision to dump international football was to afford him time to focus on his club career and his young family.
The Africa Cup of Nations winner in South Africa 2013 further noted in a tweet on his official Twitter handle he informed Rohr of his intention “by telephone”.
Also the NFF general secretary Sanusi Mohammed was quoted as saying “the football house is talking with him (Moses) to find out the reason and if possible convince him to rescind his decision for the sake of the country”.
The report further revealed that Rohr and eggheads of the football federation are trying to persuade Moses despite the leadership crisis in the national football house, which has seen Chris Giwa locked in a running battle with Amaju Pinnick over the true leader of Nigerian football.
However, the federal government on Monday recognised Pinnick, as president of the NFF. That pronouncement saved Nigeria from FIFA’s sanction on Monday.
Other reports suggest the Chelsea forward is unhappy with power struggle over at the football house and decided to bow out.
Early on Thursday Rohr said he will continue to hold with the player.
“We spoke already and I hope that his decision is not definitive,” KweséESPN quoted the German manager as saying.
Meanwhile, Legit.ng previously had reported that ex-Nigeria defence ace and manager Christian Chukwu insists there is no tension over Victor Moses recent retirement from the Super Eagles stressing that the forward is replaceable.
According to a report the 67-year-old Eagles legend while commenting on Moses decision to bow out says he is optimistic that the Nigeria will find a solid replacement for the Chelsea winger.
“He has made his decision and there is nothing we can do. We wish him good luck and all the best,” Chukwu was quoted as saying by Goal.
Football Transfers That Shocked The World - NAIJ.com TV