Businessman laments neglect by LAGBUS 7-years after accident

Businessman laments neglect by LAGBUS 7-years after accident

- A Lagos businessman has lamented the neglect by LAGBUS after one of their vehicles hit him

- The businessman said the transport company left him to his fate after the accident

- He also said the company forced his wife to sign a document which indicated that only a certain amount would be paid for his treatment

A businessman in Lagos has decried the treatment he received from the management of LAGBUS after one of the company's vehicle hit him.

Adeyemi Adeboye said he was on his way to pay his son's hospital bill when he was hit by the vehicle on the Lagos-Abeokuta Expressway on July 13, 2011. He said the management of the transport company left him to his fate after the accident which occurred at about 10 am.

Punch reports that the businessman said he has been incapacitated since the accident took place as he can no longer walk properly with his left leg.

Narrating his ordeal, Adeboye, 37, said: "I wanted to cross the road in front of the Ahmadiyya Hospital when I was hit by the LAGBUS vehicle. My wife, who was expecting me at the hospital, was shocked to see me rushed in as a patient.

“I was transferred to the National Orthopaedic Hospital, Igbobi. I was abandoned there by the management of LAGBUS. When I was discharged, I went to LAGBUS office to complain about the neglect and they apologised.

READ ALSO: Appeal court gives ex-Korean president Park 25-year sentence

“I thought that they would continue the treatment, but they did nothing until I got a lawyer who filed a case in court. The lawyer went ahead to settle out of court with them without notifying me.

“I got a new lawyer and filed a fresh suit against them, but the case was frustrated by LAGBUS management and it was struck out. I went to their office to tell them that I was not fighting with them and that what I wanted was for them to pay for the removal of the iron in my leg before it gets worse."

Also speaking on the incident, his wife, Oluwakemi, said she was forced to sign a document by LAGBUS indicating that the family could not request money from the management after a certain amount was paid.

According to her, He was transferred to the National Orthopedic Hospital Igbobi and the doctor on duty said the LAGBUS vehicle should be seized until the hospital finished treating my husband and the management paid for the treatment.

After three days, the management of LAGBUS meet the Chief Security Officer of the hospital, telling him that since the hospital had seized the bus, they had been losing money as they could not work and they needed money to pay for my husband’s hospital bill," she said.

She said after the bus was released to them, one of LAGBUS managers said her husband’s situation was beyond him and she should come to the office to see their boss. She added that she went to their office with her husband’s sister and they were told that the driver said her husband was using an earpiece when the accident happened.

Oluwakemi said she informed them that her husband does not have an earpiece and also challenged the driver on why he did not tell her about it when we were in the hospital but got no response.

READ ALSO: Just in: Rep member from Abia reportedly leaves PDP, joins APC

At the hospital, I was told to bring money for a surgery or else they would discharge my husband. I went to their office to tell them about the money.

“I was told that the only thing they could do for me was either I go to court or collect N250,000 as settlement. I cried because I did not know what to do as the hospital was disturbing us for money.

“I was told to sign a paper that the money I would collect would be their last payment to us. I did not sign the papers. But when I went to the hospital, the doctor said they would discharge my husband without the surgery. I had to go back to the LAGBUS office to sign the papers so that I could collect the money.

“After my husband got out of the hospital, he went to their office to challenge them for forcing me to sign the papers; they apologised and asked us what we wanted.

“We told them that we were still spending money on his treatment and they told us that we should calculate all our expenses and that they would get back to us. But since then, they have not got back to us," Oluwakemi said.

But in his reaction, the managing director of LAGBUS, Idowu Oguntona, said the management had settled all of Adeyemi’s hospital bills.

Oguntona said: “When the accident happened, the man requested that the company should settle and a certain amount was paid as agreed. Then, he came back after a while to make further demands.

“I do not understand why someone would say he was forced to sign a document. I understand that there was a discussion around the matter and there was an agreed fee to take care of the medical bill at that time.

“However, I sympathise with the man. I will consult my team to see what can be done about the matter."

PAY ATTENTION: Read the news on Nigeria’s #1 new app

Meanwhile, previously reported that during the just concluded Sallah celebration, a young man identified as Abdulazeez Muhammed took to his Facebook profile to mourn his friend.

Gideon Ajagbe, a serving corps member, who lost his life in in an auto crash in Lagos.

Late Ajagbe was said to be a graduate of University of Jos and serving in Sagamu.

Let’s Not Blame God For Our Problems - Deyemi Okanlawon Speaks on Otedola Bridge Fire | TV


Mailfire view pixel