To date, the solar energy advantages and disadvantages allow us to talk about these sources of energy, as the most promising in the near future. Why is it so? What can a simple Nigerian get of it? Find out in our article!
What is solar energy? This is the energy produced by the sun in the form of light and heat. What is so good about solar energy and what allows you to talk about the benefits of batteries, not only for the home but also for large enterprises and plants.
This article is intended not only to highlight all the advantages but also to reveal shortcomings, which are either ignored by the producers or are not disclosed in the sale.
Types of solar panels
To convert the energy of solar radiation into electricity, photocells are needed. The most common technologies for the production of photocells are:
- Monocrystalline silicon photocells;
- Polycrystalline photocells;
- Photocells using indium diselenide and copper (CIS technology);
- Photocells using cadmium telluride (CdTe technology);
- Photocells using amorphous silicon.
Advantages of solar panels
- The very first plus is the inexhaustibility and availability of the source of energy. The sun is practically anywhere in the world and in the near future, it is not going to disappear.
- The second advantage of solar batteries is their environmental friendliness. Every consumer struggling for the health of his native planet considers it his duty to purchase environmentally friendly energy sources such as a windmill or, in our case, solar panels. The batteries themselves are environmentally friendly, but the production of the batteries, power stations, and various conductors, use toxic substances that pollute the environment.
By the way, speaking of comparison with windmills, solar panels are much quieter. They do not make any noise at all in comparison with noisy windmills.
- Longevity of batteries is great because there are no moving parts unless you use drives that turn solar cells towards the source of energy. Nevertheless, even with such a system, solar panels serve up to 25 years and even more. Only after this period, if the batteries are of high quality, they begin to fall efficiency and gradually need to be replaced with new ones.
- By installing such an energy source for the house, you will not have to worry about the energy supplier cutting your house from the power supply. You are always your own master. More precisely, its electricity supply system. There is no problem either with a sudden increase in prices or with the transportation of energy.
- Another advantage of solar power plants is the possibility of expansion. The question rests only in the area available to you. To increase the power of the system without hindrance, if necessary you just need to add new solar panels and power them into the system. Although these advantages of solar power plants are overlapped by a significant problem, namely the need for large areas. It is about the square kilometers of solar cells.
- The solar panel does not consume any fuel, which means that you do not depend on fuel prices, just as you do not depend on fuel supplies. The advantages of solar panels are also in the continuous supply of electricity.
The disadvantages of solar panels
Despite all the above pluses, there are a lot of flaws, which must be evaluated when choosing an energy source. It is important to understand all the disadvantages before buying, then to be ready for what you have to face. For a number of reasons, solar panels are used more often as an auxiliary source, and not as a primary source.
- The first disadvantage is the need for initial large investments, which are not required for the usual connection to the central power grid. Also, the payback period of investments, in an electric grid with solar batteries, is very fuzzy, because everything depends on factors that do not depend on the consumer.
- Low level of efficiency. One square meter of a solar battery of average performance produces only about 120 watts of power. This power is not enough even to work normally for a laptop. Solar panels have significantly lower efficiency compared to traditional sources of energy - about 14-15%. However, this drawback can be considered quite arbitrary, because new technologies constantly increase this indicator and development does not stand still, squeezing more and more energy efficiency out of the same areas.
- Another disadvantage is the efficiency of work, dependent on weather conditions and climate. For example, solar cells lose their effectiveness during cloudy weather or in fog. Also at low temperatures, in the winter time, the efficiency of solar batteries decreases.
Therefore, it is still necessary to support solar panels with some basic energy sources, or use hybrid solar cells. It is also important that the solar panels can work differently in different latitudes of the planet. In each individual area, for a year there is a different amount of solar energy. Therefore, the efficiency of the solar system also depends on the location of your home. However, as well as the time of day, there is no sun at night, which means that there is no energy production.
- Batteries cannot be used as an energy source for a technique that consumes more power.
- The solar power system requires a large amount of auxiliary equipment. Accumulators for energy storage, inverters, as well as a special room for installation of the system. For example, nickel-cadmium batteries significantly lose their power when the temperature drops below zero Celsius.
- In order to give more power to solar energy, large areas are needed. If we talk about a solar power plant on an industrial scale, it is a square kilometer. Of course, when you use panels for everyday use, you do not need such areas, but still, consider this point if you want to expand.
Scientists believe that the widespread uses of solar energy are the future of mankind. These are the pros and cons of solar panels. We hope our article helped you to decide what you need.
READ ALSO: Different types of solar panels for homes