- The attack on Governor Godwin Obaseki by some youths in Edo has been condemned by Roy Oribhabor, CNPP chairman
- He described the attack as callous, irresponsible and unnecessary
- Oribhabor called on parents to warn their wards against undermining constituted authority
The Conference of Nigerian Political Parties (CNPP) has condemned the attack on Governor Godwin Obaseki by some youths in Edo Central senatorial district on Monday, August 20.
The chairman of the CNPP in Edo, Roy Oribhabor, who gave the condemnation in an interview with the News Agency of Nigeria in Benin on Thursday, August 23, described the attack as callous, irresponsible and unnecessary.
He called on parents to warn their wards against undermining constituted authority, noting that the attack negated democratic principles.
It will be recalled that Obaseki was attacked by some youths under the aegis of Esan Youth Movement, over his alleged plan to impose a senatorial candidate on the people. The governor, who was almost physically attacked by the youths, was pelted with 'pure water’ sachets.
The CNPP chief said the action of the youths called for serious concern and must be condemned by all.
“It has become necessary to call on the APC youths to know that Obaseki is not the governor of APC alone, but also of Edo State, who must be treated will all sense of respect.
“Edo CNPP hereby warns them not to undermine the office of the governor no matter the situation because as a major stakeholder, we will not accept or condone such gimmicks and uncivilised political culture in Edo State.
“The governor is the symbol of Edo people for now as the number one citizen, hence, our concern to condemn the action and educate them on the potency and importance of the office of the governor no matter the political differences.
“Edo State CNPP is seriously bothered about the barbaric and heartless disposition by these youths because an attack on Edo state governor is a direct attack on the generality of Edo people.
“Finally, we call on all well-meaning Edo sons and daughters to condemn the nefarious action and appeal to security agencies to as a matter of urgency investigate the matter," he said.
Oribhabor called on the Edo government to set up an inquiry to ascertain the intention behind the attack.
NAN recalls that the governor had since denied plan to impose any candidate on the people of the senatorial district.
Legit.ng previously reported that a set of angry youths allegedly attacked the convoy of Governor Godwin Obaseki of Edo in the Esan central local government area of the state.
The incident took place in Irrua where Obaseki had gone to hold talks with leaders of the All Progressives Congress (APC) in the Edo central senatorial district over issues bordering on the party's forthcoming primaries for the 2019 general polls.
There had been claims that Obaseki was advocating the adoption of a consensus arrangement for the primaries contrary to the direct primaries preferred by some party members in the area to nominate the flag bearers.
The Next President of Nigeria. Who Will Win the 2019 Elections? | Legit.ng TV