- Napoli president Aurelio De Laurentiis believes there is a conspiracy between Liverpool and Roma
- The Napoli chief insists the two clubs should not be allowed to play in the Champions League again.
- Roma have responded to Laurentiis claim by faulting his utterances
Italian topflight campaigners Napoli are accusing rival Roma and Premier League giants Liverpool of enjoying an illegal ownership deal.
According to a UK Sun report citing Italy’s Gazzetta Dello Sport, Napoli chief Aurelio De Laurentiis, in a roar targeted at the two Champions League heavy weights suggests Liverpool owner John W Henry and Roma chairman James Pallotta have a secret deal in place.
He said: "I always had a suspicion that the real owner of Roma is the same as Liverpool.
"And if this were the case, the two clubs should not be allowed to play in the Champions League."
Speaking further on his source of information the 69-year-old club chief said: "A little bird told me a few years ago."
Responding swiftly Roma’s Twitter quoted from Pallotta saying: "What do you think Aurelio De Laurentiis is smoking over there in Naples?
"If he finds that little bird again he’ll find out we also own Barca and Bayern."
However, it is against Europe football governing body rules for two Champions League clubs to be owned by the same persons.
At the last count Liverpool sealed a deal for Mo Salah from Roma for an initial £34.4million before the Egyptian star netted 44 goals for the Anfield dwellers.
Furthermore, the Reds also returned to the Italian topflight side to sign Brazilian goalkeeper Alisson for a then world record fee of £67m.
The two clubs met in the Champions League semi-finals tie last season, with the Reds claiming a 7-6 on aggregate win.
On the other hand Napoli brought in ex-Chelsea boss Carlo Ancelotti over the summer after Maurizio Sarri left the club to join the Blues.
De Laurentiis ensured Sarri's switch to West London was as difficult task as possible, forcing Chelsea eggheads to reach an agreement over the end of the Italian's contract before any deal could see the light of the day.
Meanwhile, Legit.ng previously had reported that Chelsea have finally confirmed the appointment of Maurizio Sarri as their new manager.
The former Napoli coach replaces Antonio Conte, who was officially sacked on Friday, July, 13, by the Blues. Sarri signs a three-year contract, having left his former employers after a long drawn out saga surrounding his contract.
Football Transfers That Shocked The World | Naij.com TV