- Some youth groups have called for an investigation into a $3.8 billion (N1.36 trillion) oil field project
- The groups alleged that foreign contractors had instigated mind-boggling corruption in Nigeria
- They also said that due to the transfer of technology the oil field has however has made thousands of Nigerian youths lose their jobs
The Young Professionals Forum (NYPF), the Commonwealth Youth Council (CYC) and other civil society organisations have called on the federal government and the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission (EFCC) to revisit the $3.8 billion (N1.36 trillion) oil field project.
The groups mainly young players in the oil and gas sector said it regrets the hyped benefits that accompanied the birth of the Total Egina oil field which included the acceleration of the pace of Nigeria’s industrial fabric and the transfer of technology, the oil field has however, made thousands of youths to lose their jobs.
Speaking at a briefing in Abuja, the chairman of NYPF, Moses Siasia, the chief executive of CODE, Hamzat Lawal and the pioneer chairperson of the CYC, Ahmed Adamu, alleged that foreign contractors had instigated mind-boggling corruption in Nigeria.
READ ALSO: Unless you obey court order, you'll be committed to prison - Judge threatens IGP
They called on the federal government and the EFCC to beam its searchlight on the activities of the major players.
The groups alleged that massive corruption perpetrated by foreign companies with support from their compromised local allies mortgages the future of the youths in Nigeria.
The groups said that in June, 2013, NNPC awarded the contract for the EPC to build the Egina FPSO to Samsung Heavy Industries.
However, immediately after the award and throughout the project, there has been outcry from stakeholders ranging from interest groups to legal challenges in court.
They urged the Nigerian Government to stop shielding criminals from justice and conclude the investigation they had started by exposing their illegalities.
“The Egina oil field has resulted into massive job losses for Nigerian youths. We also have it in good authority that Samsung has fraudulently acquired contract award to collect hundreds of millions of variation (20% of the contract value) with no local content in it.
READ ALSO: Just in: Tension grips Port Harcourt residents as Senator Abe opens factional APC secretariat (photos)
“The youth has decided that Nigeria can never be developed if foreign instigators of corruption are allowed to go free. Samsung’s current attempt to advocate for new variations will be stopped.
“The company must immediately be sent out of Nigeria and banned from participating in future projects.” They added that for the past five years, there have been investigations into the irregular manner in which Samsung won the contract by several anti-corruption agencies and yet the findings were not published.
“The full finding of these investigations has not been published but it is widely believed that Samsung paid bribes in the region of over 50 million Dollars to win the contract," the groups said.
The groups also said they are mobilising other interest groups to submit a detailed petition to the EFCC and National Assembly on Tuesday, August 28 2018.
PAY ATTENTION: Get more videos on Legit.ng TV
Meanwhile, Legit.ng previously reported that nine suspected illegal dealers of petroleum products were arraigned by the EFCC Lagos office, on Thursday, June 14.
They were arraigned before Justice Hadiza Rabiu Shagari of the Federal High Court sitting in Ikoyi, Lagos on a three-count charge bordering on conspiracy.
They suspects, who were charged alongside a vessel, MT Queen of Peace and three companies: Macker Fender Limited, Machalis International Limited and Ayonok Ventures Limited are: Shadrack Eneogwu, Ojo Olagoke Christopher, Atolagbe Hakeem, Daniel Noan Oluwatunbi, John Kwane Amissah and Jonathan Kumah Tetteh.
BUSTED: Professional Hacker Nabbed Over Fraudulent Purchase of N28million Porshe on Legit.ng TV
Source: Legit.ng News