- La Liga champions Barcelona want to sign Dutch midfielder De Jong
- The Catalans initially wanted to sign former Juventus star Paul Pogba but United stopped the deal from going through
- Valverde's men have already completed the signing of Arturo Vidal from Bayern along with three other players this summer
Barcelona have reportedly launched a bid for Ajax star Frenkie de Jong following their failure to land French World Cup winning star Paul Pogba this summer.
The Spanish League champions offered Manchester United £44m plus Yerry Mina and Andre Gomes in exchange for the midfielder but the Old Trafford side turned down the offer.
According to Mirro Sport, Jose Mourinho doesn't want the former Juventus star to leave without recruiting perfect replacement before the transfer deadline day.
However, Barcelona-based newspaper Sport, claim the Catalan club have agreed personal deal with De Jong if they fail to qualify for the Champions League.
The Dutch League side battle Standard Liege in the second leg of their Third Round qualifying clash next Tuesday with the score level at 2-2.
A win for them will see them face one more two-legged tie with the hope of making it to the group stage of the competition.
Victory in that tie would mean De Jong would remain with Ajax until next summer but defeat would pave the way for him to join Barcelona.
The Catalan club have already signed forwards Malcom and Arthur this summer and look set to keep hold of Ousmane Dembele.
The Frenchman has been linked with moves to Arsenal and United but insists his future lies at the Nou Camp.
During a chat session with fans, he said: "Yes, I'm going to stay and I'm ready for the Super Cup of Spain against Sevilla [on Sunday]."
Legit.ng previously reported that Lionel Messi has given Barcelona the go ahead to sign Manchester United midfielder Paul Pogba.
The 25-year-old has been recently linked with a move to the Camp Nou after helping France win their second ever World Cup title in Russia in July.
However, the Red Devils were said to have rejected the initial €50 million cash plus Yerry Mina and Andre Gomes offer for the French star earlier this week.
Super Eagles: What Happened After The World Cup - Legit.ng TV