- 9 persons have reportedly died in a ghastly auto accident that occurred in Port Harcourt on Thursday, August 9
- Legit.ng had previously reported that 6 persons died in the accident
- The accident occurred when a 14-seater bus rammed into a heavy duty truck that was carrying a crane
The death toll of the passengers who died in an auto accident involving a Lagos bound 14-seater commuter bus on Thursday, August 9, a few meters away from the Choba bridge along the East-West road in Port-Harcourt, has risen to nine.
Legit.ng reports that more details emerged today, Friday, August 10, that the death toll rose from six because some of the victims who were rescued from the bus, suffered third degree burns but later died.
The accident, according to Legit.ng regional reporter in Port Harcourt, Tony Ihunwo, occurred when a heavy duty truck suddenly developed break failure and that it was difficult for the bus driver who was on high speed to control it, before it rammed into the truck and burst into flames.
It was gathered that among those who later died were those who were rushed to the Accident and Emergency Ward of the University of Port Harcourt Teaching Hospital (UPTH).
An eyewitness, who preferred to remain anonymous, however, told Legit.ng that he saw four survivors who were in critical condition being evaluated to the accident and emergency ward of the University of Port Harcourt Teaching Hospital (UPTH), which is less than half kilometer away to where the accident occurred.
It was also gathered that some of eyewitnesses who were first to arrive at the scene busied themselves snapping and recording some charred bodies of the passengers at the accident scene.
It was also learnt that a kindhearted commercial driver volunteered his taxi cab as an "emergency ambulance" that evacuated survivors at the scene of the accident.
Meanwhile, the chairman of Emohua local government council, Chief Tom Aliezi, who visited the scene of the accident on Friday, August 10, blamed it on the bad portion of of the East-West road which is under the purview of the federal government.
He called on the federal government to expedite action and complete the abandoned portions of the East-West road to stem further carnage on the ever busy trunk A expressway.
The spokesman of the Rivers state police command DSP Nnamdi Omoni, in his reactions blamed the accident to excessive speeding on the part of bus Driver.
He argued that the bus driver could have been able to avoid the truck which break failed if he was not on high speed.
It was gathered that motorists and kindhearted members of the public were seen struggling to evacuate the survivors at the scene of the accident and also redirected traffic that was already building up along the ever busy trunk A expressway.
PAY ATTENTION: Read the news on Nigeria’s #1 news app
Meanwhile, Legit.ng had previously reported that the former 400 meters hurdles world champion, Nicholas Bett, died in a road crash in Sochoi near Lessos in Nandi.
His death was confirmed by his family and Nandi police commander, Patrick Wambani, who said Bett died on the spot after the car he was driving veered off the road and landed in a ditch.
My life after the plane crash – Nigerian plane crash survivor Kechi Okwuchi speaks to Legit.ng TV