- Manchester United target Diego Godin wants to stay at Atletico Madrid this summer
- The 32-year-old has been heavily linked with a move to the Red Devils as summer deadline draws near
- He joined the Europe League champions in 2010 and has won six titles in his eight-year reign at the club
Atletico Madrid defender Digo Godin is set to shun Manchester United's offer and remain with the Spanish League title contenders.
The 32-year-old Uruguay star became Jose Mourinho's top target on the transfer deadline day as the Portuguese tactician hopes to strengthen his squad for competition next season.
Reports in Spain according to Sky Sports claim that the experienced defender is currently negotiating new deal with the Europe League champions.
Godin was named in the 2018 World Cup dream team following his performance at the summer events in Russia.
However, when asked if he would sign any player before the window closes, Mourinho said at Thursday morning's press conference that he was "not confident" of bringing anyone in before the 5pm deadline.
Mourinho has already made three signings during this summer- Fred, Diogo Dalot and Lee Grant - but has so far been frustrated in his search for a centre-back.
The former Chelsea and Real Madrid boss has earlier launched a bid for both Leicetser City's Harry Maguire and Bayern Munich's Jerome Boateng but were declined by their clubs.
Godin joined Atletico Madrid from Villarreal in 2010 and has won six titlte during his reign at the club including two Europa Leagues.
He revealed in April he rejected a move to Manchester City two years ago when Manuel Pellegrini was in charge, which should further endear him to United supporters.
"It's true that two years ago, City wanted me when [Pellegrini] was there," he told the Daily Mail.
"I'm proud that he wanted me but I feel like just another fan of this club. I'm very happy here. I didn't feel that it was the moment to leave."
Legit.ng previously reported that Manchester United were confident of landing Chelsea and Brazilian winger Willian before the start of the 2018/19 EPL season.
The Brazil international has been strongly linked with Chelsea exit following reports of a bid from Spanish champions Barcelona.
But according to the report by UK Sun, Manchester United boss Jose Mourinho has made Willian his number one target and he is ready to challenge Barcelona for his signature.
John Mikel Obi's Father Was Kidnapped! - Legit.ng TV