Acting-president Yemi Osinbajo on Tuesday, August 7, sacked Lawal Daura, the director-general of the State Security Service (SSS), self-styled as the Department of State Services (DSS).
A statement by Laolu Akande, his spokesperson, said: “The acting president, Professor Yemi Osinbajo (SAN), has directed the termination of the appointment of the director general, State Security Service, Lawal Musa Daura, with immediate effect.
“Mr Daura has been directed to hand over to the most senior officer of the State Security Service until further notice.”
The acting president’s decision came few hours some operatives of the DSS laid siege on the National Assembly complex making it difficult for lawmakers and National Assembly staff to enter the complex.
The presidency and the ruling All Progressives Congress (APC) denied having hands in the action of the DSS operatives. However, when asked who gave the order for their actions, the operatives simply told journalists they were acting on "order from above".
As the incidents gained widespread coverage, the acting president summoned Daura to the presidential villa. Shortly after, the DSS boss was fired.
In this report, Legit.ng highlights seven facts you probably didn’t know about the just fired DSS boss.
1. Lawal Musa Daura was born on the 5th of August, 1953.
2. He is from the same town with President Muhammadu Buhari: Daura, Katsina state
3. He attended Ahmadu Bello University, Zaria from 1977 to 1980.
4. He started his career in the State Security Service in 1982 and rose to the rank of Director.
5. He was at one time the Deputy Director Presidential Communication, Command and Control Centre at the Presidential Villa Abuja between 2003 and 2007.
6. He also served as the State Director of Security Service at various times in Kano, Sokoto, Edo, Lagos, Osun and Imo states.
7. President Muhammadu Buhari on Thursday, July 2, 2015, appointed Lawal Daura as the new head of the DSS after sacking Ita Ekpenyong.
PAY ATTENTION: Read the news on Nigeria’s #1 new app
Meanwhile, unconfirmed reports have also emerged that the sacked DSS chief has been arrested and detained.
According to Sahara Reporters, Daura was arrested by a combined team of the police and the Special Anti-Robbery Squad (SARS) for “breaching national security”.
News of the arrest was said to have sparked wild jubilation at the DSS headquarters.
News Nigeria Today: Who is Nigeria’s Smartest Politician? | Legit.ng TV