- The governor of Katsina state has said 70% of those ganging up are same people who ganged up against President Buhari during the 2015 general election
- According to him, they will fail as gang ups have never worked in the country
- He said the party was worried about the defections and is working towards addressing the issue
Governor Aminu Masari of Katsina state has said that many of the politicians who are ganging up against President Muhammadu Buhari are the same people who did in 2015.
In an interview with Leadership, the Katsina governor said those who were genuinely in the All Progressives Congress (APC) were genuinely concerned about the few aggrieved persons in the party.
He said: “As a politician why shouldn’t I be worried? But looking at the history of gang ups in Nigeria, they have never worked in the country and it will never work because 70 per cent of those who are ganging up are already the people who ganged up against President Buhari during the 2015 general election.
“We are concerned with the 30 per cent who were part of us; we are worried about those who felt aggrieved to leave the party but the other 70 per cent are the usual opposition who have been running from pillar to post to stop Buhari during elections. They and their grand masters are not carrying their faces. We know the faces they are carrying. So, for those of us who worked together in 2015, APC is our concern and we are worried and we are doing something to stop it, if not to reduce it to the barest minimum because as human beings, we have the free will and that free will gives us the right to do whatever we feel. That is life for us and that is the essence of democracy.
“In 2015, some of them left their political parties to join the merger to bring about APC. So, if for whatsoever reason they are not happy we need to look at it and see if we can rectify the problem, but for those who are dreaming about personal ambition, there is very little that they can do. So, certainly we are worried and we are working towards addressing the issue.
Concerning the issue of insecurity, the governor said he would supports any local outfit that receives legal backing.
He said: “Well, state police to me is just a formalisation because in one way or the other some states have some form of security outfits. Some are under the cloak of traffic, there are also vigilante groups with their uniforms and they are the ones aggravating killings, especially in the Northern part of this country because they were not trained. Most of them were local hunters; they are not using sophisticated guns but the locally manufactured ones and they are not properly calibrated.
“We have some form of policing without legalization. So, if we can come up with something between the Nigeria police and vigilance group, if there is a legal backing that can provide certain services in the area of security, then I welcome it because the state governments are already shouldering a lot of expenditures on the police, with all the logistics and support they give the Police, Army and DSS to carry out security operations.
“If we have state security outfits, certainly they will complement the efforts of the other security agencies. There was a time when you had the Nigeria police and the native authority police working hand in hand. The only issue of contention is that there should be areas of limitations for the state police and the Nigeria Police Force as well as other security agencies where we would have a clear demarcation of responsibilities and where they can even combine to help complement each other in doing some things.
“There were so many hues and cries when the Civil Defence came up. There was opposition from the Nigeria Police but today they have become part of the Nigeria security agencies. So, coming up with additional security outfit is not a bad idea.
PAY ATTENTION: Read the news on Nigeria’s #1 news app
“As the nation’s population grows criminals and their masterminds become more sophisticated. Therefore, we need more sophisticated institutions that can confront them because not all fires can be quenched with water. Some are quenched with chemical. As we grow in size, population and sophistication, obviously we will continue to have outfits of security agencies that will help in bringing peace in the country. I only see the face of state police, which I support but with time we will see another outfit coming out.”
Legit.ng had earlier reported that President Muhammadu Buhari met with senators on the platform of the All Progressives Congress (APC) at Aso Rock Villa on Wednesday, July 25.
The meeting is reportedly related to the mass defection of senators on the platform to the Peoples Democratic Party and the African Democratic Congress.
There has been report that some senators may soon leave the APC particularly Shenu Sani who was seen at the meeting.
Nigeria News: Will Senators, Lawmakers’ Defection from APC Change Power in 2019? | Legit.ng TV