- Nigeria has resolved to investigate suspected human trafficking in the case of the 155 Nigerian football fans who got stranded in Russia after the World Cup tournament
- Minister of foreign affairs, Geoffrey Onyeama said some of them, among whom was a nursing mother, were quite too young to have travelled to Russia by themselves
- Onyeama said an investigation would also be launched into an allegation that some travel agents cancelled the return tickets of the football fans without informing them
Minister of foreign affairs, Geoffrey Onyeama, declared that Nigeria has resolved to investigate suspected human trafficking in the case of the 155 Nigerian football fans who got stranded in Russia after the World Cup tournament.
News Agency of Nigeria (NAN) reports Onyeama revealed the plan to probe the incident at the Nnamdi Azikiwe International Airport, Abuja where he received the returnees.
The stranded Nigerians, who besieged the nation’s embassy in Moscow on July 12, were safely returned to the country following a directive by President Muhammadu Buhari.
Onyeama said after a discussion with the Director General of National Agency for the Prohibition of Trafficking in Persons (NAPTIP), Ms Julie Okah–Donli, it was clear that there were possible cases of human trafficking among the returnees.
He said: “I have spoken to the DG of NAPTIP and she had also indicated that they had sounded the alarm bells for these young children not to leave the country, that it had all the hallmarks of trafficking and irregular migration.”
The minister insisted that some of them, among whom was a nursing mother, were quite too young to have travelled to Russia by themselves solely for the purpose of the World Cup tournament.
He added that an investigation would also be launched into an allegation that some travel agents cancelled the return tickets of the football fans without informing them, leaving them stranded in the European country.
PAY ATTENTION: Read the news on Nigeria’s #1 news app
The senior special assistant to the president on media and publicity, Garba Shehu, had revealed the Presidential directive in a statement, following the activities of the travel agents who reportedly cancelled the return tickets of their clients and abandoned them to their fate.
President Buhari had ordered Onyeama and the minister of state for aviation, Hadi Sirika, to commence the process of repatriating the stranded Nigerians.
Shehu said the presidential directive was in line with the policy of the federal government to ensure the welfare of all Nigerians in every part of the world.
Meanwhile, Legit.ng had reported that about 152 Nigerians were airlifted from Russia as part of the federal government's effort to evacuate Nigerians stranded in Russia after the World Cup.
The Ministry of Foreign Affairs said that Nigerians stranded in Moscow, Russia at the end of the 2018 World Cup Tournament would be evacuated on Friday, July 20.
The ministry’s spokesperson, Tope Elias-Fatile, in a statement on Thursday in Abuja said, over 230 stranded Nigerians had been cleared to board an Ethiopian Airline flight to Abuja on Friday.
He said that the development was sequel to president’s directive that stranded Nigerians in Russia be evacuated with immediate effect.
Russia 2018: Who Will Win The Match Between Nigeria and Argentina? - Legit.ng TV: