Nigerian news All categories All tags
Ondo governor’s officials scale fence in fear as ex-militants protest for hours

Ondo governor’s officials scale fence in fear as ex-militants protest for hours

- The former militants said they are not happy that their allowances had not been paid

- The former militants accused the Ondo state government of deception

- They barricaded the governor's office forcing state officials to scale the fence

For hours on Monday, July 16, former militants in Ondo state blocked the office of Governor Rotimi Akeredolu with staff running for safety. Some of the government officials had to scale the fence as fear pervaded the scene.

Vanguard reports that at least 100 former militants from the Ese-Odo area of Ondo state took part in the protest.

They reportedly held the governor’s office hostage over an alleged non-payment of their amnesty allowance.

READ ALSO: Fayose finally reacts to outcome of Ekiti governorship election

It was learnt that during the protest, those who could not scale the fence had to stay put in their offices for the many hours the march happened.

The protesters chanted anti-government songs while accusing the current administration of collecting their guns and refusing to give them amnesty.

They claimed that Akeredolu’s government deceived them into surrendering their weapons and that they had been forgotten.

The protesters were led by General Ossy under the aegis of Forest Boys, alleged that since 2017, the state government had deceived them by assuring them that their names would be captured in the amnesty programme.

Ossy accused the state government of reneging on its promises adding that this resulted in the protest.

Security men attached to the office of the governor made futile efforts to calm frayed nerves, but the former militants drove to the entrance of the office blocking people from moving in and out.

It was learnt that Governor Rotimi Akeredolu was not in the state when the incident occurred.

PAY ATTENTION: Read the news on Nigeria’s #1 new app

The governor is in the entourage of President Muhammadu Buhari to The Netherlands to attend the 29th anniversary of Rome Statute of International Criminal Court (ICC).

But Segun Ajiboye, the governor’s spokesperson, said that funds had not been released by the federal government.

Ekiti 2018: Heavily Armed Female Police Officers Show Readiness for Ekiti Election | Legit.ng TV

Subscribe to watch new videos

Source: Legit.ng

Mailfire view pixel