Dr Kayode Fayemi of the All Progressives Congress (APC) is set to be declared winner of the state gubernatorial election after reportedly polling 197,459 votes as against his closest rival, Kolapo Olusola of the Peoples Democratic Party who had 178,121 votes.
Below are 9 important things to know about Fayemi
1. Kayode Fayemi was born in February 1965 and a native of Isan-Ekiti in Ekiti state
2. He had his secondary school education at Christ’s School before proceeding to the University of Lagos where he received his degree.
3. He holds a doctorate in War Studies from King’s College, University of London
4. He served as director, centre for democracy and development from 1997 to 2006
5. Fayemi served as governor of Ekiti state from 2010 to 2014 before being defeated by Ayodele Fayose in the 2014 Ekiti gubernatorial election
6. From 2015 to 2018, he was appointed minister of solid minerals development by President Muhammadu Buhari before his resignation to participate in the 2018 governorship election.
8. He is married to Olabisi and they have a son, Folajimi Amandla
9. In 2011, he became the first governor in the country to sign the Freedom of Information Act
Fayemi's victory in the poll has generated reactions among chieftains of the APC.
While Governor Nasir El-Rufai of Kaduna described it as victory for sanity, Orji Uzor Kalu said it was great that Ekiti has been reconnected to the centre.
Meanwhile, Legit.ng had earlier reported that the APC candidate won in seven of the eight local government areas where results have been announced by relevant electoral officials.
Fayemi, from the result collated at the local governments, has won in Ilejemeje (4153 to 3937), Moba (11837 to 8520), Irepodun-Ifelodun (13,869 to 11,456), Oye (14,995 to 11,271), Ido-Osi (12,342 to 11,145), Ijero (14,192 to 11,077) and Gbonyin (11,498 to 8,027).
Ekiti 2018: Residents reveal who will win the governorship election| Legit.ng TV