We all care about our health because in a healthy body - a healthy spirit! But nowadays there are many people with diabetes. They follow a strict diet and regularly monitor blood sugar. What if you want to dilute your daily diet with something sweet, but not harmful? You will not believe it, but it is possible! We are glad to inform you that there is a food that will help you to solve many problems connected with diabetes and make your every-day-diet much more delicious. Keep reading our post to find out about water yam and diabetes.
Diabetes is called the scourge of our time. Its spread knows no boundaries, more than 200 million people are sick with it all over the world. At the same time, the peculiarity of diabetes is that nutrition plays an important role in its treatment and preservation of active life in patients. Moreover, in the initial stages of the disease, a properly balanced diet can be the only treatment.
Water yam is the great solution to keep you healthier if you already have such a health problem as diabetes. Keep reading to find out about benefits of water yam for people with diabetes.
African water yam
It is a plant that gives tubers similar to potatoes. The plant is grown in high humidity conditions of tropical forests of Africa, Asia, and South America where ordinary potatoes simply do not grow. The plant itself looks like a vine. It can serve as a real decoration of the garden.
READ ALSO: Dates health benefits and nutrition facts
Is water yam good for diabetics?
The importance of water yam for people who suffer from diabetes can't be underestimated. This food has a number of benefits you definitely should know about if you or someone very close to you has diabetes. You must read the information below to learn more about water yam and blood sugar level.
Health benefits of water yam:
- Water yam contains essential minerals such as potassium, manganese, calcium, magnesium, and iron, necessary for carbohydrate, protein and enzyme metabolism in the body.
- This product is known for its ability to regulate sugar levels, even in individuals with type 2 diabetes, despite its glycemic index.
- Water yam is one of the four vegetables that have a high GI. The other three vegetables: beets, corn, and leek.
- 6.6 grams of dietary fiber in the yam helps to stabilize the rate of digestion and lower the blood sugar. Such content of fiber can manage pile (hemorrhage) and constipation.
- The food contains the necessary amount of antioxidants and vitamin C, and this also helps to normalize blood sugar levels.
- The root includes carotenoids, so it can increase insulin sensitivity.
- Another benefit of water yam is its ability to purify the blood from excess accumulated cholesterol.
Based on water yam benefits mentioned above, we can say that this crop is good for your health! It is not only good for people with diabetes but for everybody who cares about his or her health. You will be surprised that this product is not only beneficial for your health but also has a very pleasant taste and can be used for making tasty dishes. Everyone, sometimes, wants to eat something delicious, and the diagnosis – diabetes should not affect it. Bon appetit and be healthy!
READ ALSO: Health benefits of acha grain for our body